Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Berkeley vs. Michigan vs. Virginia  (Read 4573 times)

snickersnicker

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - shinjikid@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - klutzonbroadway
    • View Profile
    • Email
Berkeley vs. Michigan vs. Virginia
« on: August 08, 2009, 03:37:13 AM »
166/4.00/'risky' PS/plenty of softs/socioeconomic adversity/Why X? for all schools to which I am applying.

I hope to work for the State Department or DOJ once I'm out of law school. To that end, I plan to focus on international law (boo, hiss, etc). However, the best international law programmes in the country (NYU, Columbia, etc) are out of my range, though I'm still applying to NYU. My numbers put me on the border at Berkely, UM and UVA. I feel like if my cycle goes well, I could get into all three; if it goes bad, I could be shafted at all three.

The current dilemma I'm facing is whether to apply ED at Michigan or not. I won't apply ED at UVA (I calculated my chances of getting in and they're significantly higher than both Berkeley and UM), and Berkeley doesn't have ED. I feel like I would be pretty happy at UM, but I really hate not having options from which to choose. I'm a Michigan resident, so I would also have that going for me, and I feel like if I apply ED, I will get in...but I'm not sure if that's what I want.

So, what say you, LSD?
LSAT: 166 (:()
UGPA: 4
LSN

goaliechica

• LSD Obsessed
  • It's only forever - not long at all.
    • View Profile
Re: Berkeley vs. Michigan vs. Virginia
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2009, 12:17:29 PM »
So, what say you, LSD?

Don't apply anywhere ED. Your numbers give you a strong shot at all three of those schools, AND you have the type of numbers that will frequently get pulled off a waitlist at the last minute (4.0 GPA and solid LSAT) once schools see that they have enough high LSATs and want to bolster their GPA stats.
Quote from: Earthbound SNES
Get a sense of humor, Susan B. Anthony!
Quote from: dashrashi
I'm going to cut a female dog. With a knife with a brown handle, natch.
Quote from: Elephant Lee
Don't judge me. You've not had my life.

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2009, 12:18:35 PM »
Apply to Georgetown, Duke, and UCLA also.  

ty1228

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2009, 01:01:46 PM »
Wouldn't bank on getting into V with those stats this year.  New dean, new admissions strategy, and a ton more applicants. 

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2009, 01:16:36 PM »
Wouldn't bank on getting into V with those stats this year.  New dean, new admissions strategy, and a ton more applicants. 

If he gets into M, who cares about V. 

snickersnicker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2009, 03:41:55 PM »
Don't apply anywhere ED. Your numbers give you a strong shot at all three of those schools, AND you have the type of numbers that will frequently get pulled off a waitlist at the last minute (4.0 GPA and solid LSAT) once schools see that they have enough high LSATs and want to bolster their GPA stats.

You think? I mean, looking at LSN stats from this past cycle, I got this data for the schools to which I am applying:

(School Name | # of Accepted 166s/# of accepted 166 3.5+ | Acceptance Rate (all GPAs) | Acceptance Rate with 3.5+ GPA)
Harvard | 1 | 5% | 6%
UPenn | 2 | 9.5% | 10.5%
UCBerk | 5/4 | 15% | 15%
GTULC | 8/7 | 14% | 16%
NYU LS | 3/3 | 15% | 19%
UofM LS | 7/6 | 20% | 20% (important to note that four of the accepted were URMs, one was non-trad)
UofV LS | 10 | 22% | 30%
CornellLS| 7 | 29% | 37%

From that I garner that I have a great shot at Cornell, decent shot at UVA, less of a shot at UM, very small shots at GULC and Berkeley, and an insignificant shot at the other schools (either because of a low acceptance percentage or too few acceptances period to yield any worthwhile data). I like my chances at Cornell and UVA, but don't know if I'm comfortable with Michigan.

Apply to Georgetown, Duke, and UCLA also.

Yeah, I'm applying to Georgetown as well. GT seems to be a pretty strict numbers game, though, with a lot of focus on LSAT, so I don't really know my chances there. I'm not applying to Duke, as their international law programme isn't particularly notable, and I got a fee waiver to UCLA so I will apply there but definitely not attend.

I haven't heard anything about this. Care to elaborate a bit? Either way, the only reason I would take Virginia over UM or Berkeley is the number of graduates it places into federal government positions. However, I feel like at Berkeley and UM, the lack of graduates going into federal positions is more the result of self-selection (PI/clerkships for the former; firm work for the latter).
LSN

ty1228

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2009, 08:22:52 PM »
Also, important to keep in mind that most 166s getting into V with good GPAs are VA residents.  V has to take 40%.  Typically, those people tend to have high GPAs to offset lower LSATs.  Not trying to be rude, but I just really wouldn't be feeling that confident if I were you at a V acceptance.  Of course, you seem to want M or B more anyway and B at least has medians much more in line with your stats. 

snickersnicker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2009, 01:10:57 AM »
From last year's statistics, 6/10 with a 3.5+ and a 166 who were admitted were non-residents. Only one specifically stated that they were a Virginia resident. The remaining three did not specify a state or undergraduate institution. Not to say your point isn't valid, though.

Would you care to elaborate on the new admissions strategy, though? That's something of which I have yet to hear.
LSN

big - fat - box

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2009, 10:05:52 AM »
International law:

http://www.annaivey.com/iveyfiles/2008/11/international_law_believe_the_hype

Also, getting a job at the DOJ or State Dept right out of law school is very tough, even coming from a t14. I hope you have other career plans in case it doesn't work out.

snickersnicker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2009, 03:10:50 PM »
That Anna Ivey article is bulllshit, just so you know. Don't believe the Anna Ivey hype.
LSN