Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: tips for how to talk about poor exam performance to prof's  (Read 1409 times)

mallow55

• View Profile
tips for how to talk about poor exam performance to prof's
« on: August 06, 2009, 03:28:53 PM »
i'm meeting with a prof. next week to discuss a poor exam grade.  i just picked up the exam and will be reviewing it today. any tips on how to approach this kind of a meeting?  i'm not looking for a grade change, but do want to know how i can ask why i deserved such a poor grade (b-) without offending her.

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: tips for how to talk about poor exam performance to prof's
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 03:36:13 PM »
Begin with the positive: say that you liked her class, and you studied many hours for the exam.  Say, up front, that you're not looking for a grade change, but you would like to improve and learn from the exam.

Then see how she reacts.  If necessary, be more specific about your legal analysis, possible missed issues, and overall style.

big - fat - box

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 06:55:56 PM »
If the prof uses a grading sheet to grade exams, ask if you can look at it.

I wouldn't b.s. about studying many hours if you really didn't. Just keep the focus on what your weaknesses and strengths were in your exam response and that you want to avoid making the same mistakes in subsequent exams.

Good luck. Sometimes profs are helpful with stuff like this, often times they're not.

lawguy09

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 11:42:09 AM »
is a b- a poor grade?

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 12:39:04 PM »
is a b- a poor grade?

Relative to your classmates, it could be.  But I think we all have different goals, and grades shouldn't mean everything.

Connelly

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009, 03:27:31 PM »
is a b- a poor grade?

It depends on the curve.  If 90% of students get B's or higher, then yes.  Our school has had a mandatory curve of 78-79, which is essentially a C+, so a B- is not bad.

Dr. Balsenschaft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2009, 05:16:48 PM »
I would ask to see a model answer, compare that to your exam, and then if you have any remaining questions, bring them to the meeting with your professor.  Not all professors give you this option, however, in which case just ask the professor generally to go over the exam, outlining what a model answer would look like.

lawrookie

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2009, 11:51:34 PM »
What is the lowest GPA that most lawschools let you get away with? I noticed on the website for the Rhode Island LawSchool that they let you graduate with a 2.0(C flat) Is that about average, or are they one of the few that lets you get away with it that low?

dubsy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2009, 01:21:27 AM »
i would worry more about the GPA cutoff for the employment sector you're aiming for rather than the GPA cutoff for graduation. just my opinion.
seeing king midas everywhere.