Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Transferring because you want to live in a different market?  (Read 1291 times)

hutch`980

• View Profile
    • Email
Transferring because you want to live in a different market?
« on: August 06, 2009, 01:33:37 AM »
After spending the summer with my family, I quickly realized that I do not want to practice law in So Cal. Does anybody ever transfer because they realize they don't want to live in a particulkar location? FYI, both schools are similarly ranked.

big - fat - box

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Transferring because you want to live in a different market?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 02:32:10 AM »
People transfer for that reason all the time. I wouldn't get too comfortable because the schools are similarly ranked though. The school you want to move to might not take that many transfers, or there might be more demand to move to that school than you think. Or the school may only take transfers with grades above a certain threshold, and not median or below students.

Are you waiting to start 1L at the SoCal school? If you haven't started yet, your best bet is to not start, and simply reapply with the intention of getting in the normal way.

scoop333

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Transferring because you want to live in a different market?
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 02:06:35 PM »
A major reason other than trying to go to a higher ranked school in attempting to transfer law schools is to be going to a school that is located in the area that you want to practice.  Be sure to include the reasons on why you want to live that particular area in your transfer statement.  Good luck!