Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: chance + advise me!!! (3.2 / 167)  (Read 1029 times)

papi's mear

• View Profile
chance + advise me!!! (3.2 / 167)
« on: August 05, 2009, 02:02:16 PM »
Hi,

Ok, I know I shouldn't even be looking at law schools, but I was averaging low 170s, and just kind of bombed on test day. Hopefully, my retake will be better (but of course, I'm not arrogant enough to count on it. We'll just see what happens)

My UG is a pretty good university (T20) not known for grade inflation. On top of that, I was enrolled in the honors program, which was insanely rigorous. My GPA for the first 2 years was around 2.6

Over the last 2 years, I got to take mostly major classes, which I enjoyed, and pulled off a 3.6. Of course, all my major classes were mostly As and A-s, and I continued to bomb the required classes.

So, first of all:

What schools am I looking at with 3.2 and 167?

What schools could I be looking at with 3.2 and 170? (I even saw a couple T14 acceptances--but with the new surge of apps, is this possible anymore?)

And:

Will adcoms consider the fact that I was in the honors program which dragged down my GPA? Even a bit? (i know it's raw numbers in the end)

Will they see that I did well only in my major courses and bombed the non-major courses? (my major is a softie, too)

And as for advice:

Should I send my apps off ASAP? Or should I wait for the October LSAT results to come out? (and I'm realistic--I know that I might not improve, and may even end up with a lower score)

And anything else you can throw my way... thanks!

nooyyllib

Re: chance + advise me!!! (3.2 / 167)
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 10:22:29 PM »
1. LSN.com
2. Adcoms don't really care about your major/programs. your 3.3 will be overshadowed by a 3.4 from another major.
3. major gpa don't really matter. again, program doesnt matter. but improvement is good.
4. i'm in a similar boat. doing a re-take in sept. id send it in after and decide on your chances wisely. don't rush.

violaboy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 12:04:01 PM »
1. LSN.com
2. Adcoms don't really care about your major/programs. your 3.3 will be overshadowed by a 3.4 from another major.
3. major gpa don't really matter. again, program doesnt matter. but improvement is good.
4. i'm in a similar boat. doing a re-take in sept. id send it in after and decide on your chances wisely. don't rush.

Agreed.

'blueskies

• LSD Obsessed
  • your changing skyline is twisting me up inside
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 12:52:12 PM »
As someone who had similar numbers, I disagree with #4.  Go ahead and send in your applications before you get your score.  You can tell them you're retaking in September, but I'm assuming you will be applying to similar schools regardless of your score, you will just have a better chance with a higher score.  Go ahead and get your applications in so as soon as they get your score you can be complete and go under review.  If you need to apply to additional schools after you get your score, you can still do that.  I just believe you will be better off to have your apps in and ready to review.
awkward follows you like a beer chasing a shot of tequila.

papi's mear

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2009, 02:54:04 AM »
As someone who had similar numbers, I disagree with #4.  Go ahead and send in your applications before you get your score.  You can tell them you're retaking in September, but I'm assuming you will be applying to similar schools regardless of your score, you will just have a better chance with a higher score.  Go ahead and get your applications in so as soon as they get your score you can be complete and go under review.  If you need to apply to additional schools after you get your score, you can still do that.  I just believe you will be better off to have your apps in and ready to review.

Hi, thanks for the advice. You don't think the higher-ranked schools would ding me based on the 167? You think they'd wait?
and if you dont mind me asking, how did you end up with those numbers?

Also, as for LSN--the data is all over the place, and many of the people seem to stay regional. There are people ending up at GMU, people getting money to BC, people sneaking into T14s--and of course although the latter is in smaller amount, it's significant enough to make me delusional that these aren't impossible outliers.