Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: When to start applying for jobs  (Read 3056 times)

sdgl

• View Profile
When to start applying for jobs
« on: August 04, 2009, 07:06:10 PM »
I apologize for my dumbness in advance.

I'll be starting my last year of law school.  I'm not going to a school where there's much of a chance of being recruited.

I'm wondering when is the appropriate time to start sending out resumes/cover letters ---

Before graduation?
After graduation and before the July 2010 bar exam?
After the bar exam?
Or after the results of the bar exam come back?

Thanks.

big - fat - box

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: When to start applying for jobs
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 07:30:47 PM »
Have you been to the career office at your school?

Some jobs actually do hire before the bar exam. You'll need to apply for those very soon and keep applying until you graduate. Some jobs will hire students as "law clerks" while they are finishing up their 3rd year of school, with the expectation that you'll be converted to an attorney sometime after your bar passage results come back. Some employers will not even look at your resume until after you've been admitted to the bar in that state.

Right now you should start networking hardcore with alums of your school and attorneys in your area to build relationships and get your name out there. If you don't do this and just wait until after your bar passage results come out to start making contacts and looking for a job, things are going to be much more difficult. Especially given the current economy.

You might want to get this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Guerrilla-Tactics-Getting-Dreams-Employment/dp/0314176772/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1249428609&sr=8-1

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
Re: When to start applying for jobs
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 12:32:50 PM »
Before, During, After. It's never too early.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?