Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Useful college major for law school and the "real world".  (Read 4479 times)

Wanabattorney

• The law is reason free from passion.--Aristotle
    • View Profile
    • Email
Useful college major for law school and the "real world".
« on: August 03, 2009, 11:49:43 PM »

Hey everyone.  I know this question has been asked numerous times before but I would like to know a good choice of undergrad major.  A major that not only will help me get in to law school but also in case I don't get accepted, while helping me stand out from the crowd or typical applicant. Any suggestions?  I'm thinking some combination involving Anthropology/ Political Science, Art History/ Philosophy,  or any combination thereof. Will any of those offer opportunities outside of law school?  That is what I want to ensure before I decide on a major.  I don't want to choose one that if I don't get into law school will not be of use in the "real world" especially in a time where everything is so geared to specialization and the niche mindset.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Useful college major for law school and the "real world".
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 11:56:48 PM »
Major in history or English if you want something semi-useful if you don't go into law school. At least with either of those, you can usually walk right into a teaching job somewhere.

Econ or finance would also be good.

Don't bother with anthropology or art history.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

SEC_2L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 12:34:35 AM »
I'd suggest something that you can find at least somewhat stimulating but also assure yourself of a stellar GPA...

Scentless Apprentice

• Sr. Citizen
  • My ego isnt LSD strong but I still want to play.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 03:27:55 PM »
Major in history or English if you want something semi-useful if you don't go into law school. At least with either of those, you can usually walk right into a teaching job somewhere.

Is this really true? I'm not sure how a history degree enables you to "walk right into a teaching job."

It may be hard, given the OP's question, to find a worse suggestion than "major in history." Actually, now that I think about it, I get it. It's a joke. Oh! HAHAHHA!

OP, this is easy. Get a college catalog. Look through all of the class descriptions for each major. Pay close attention to what you're going to be learning during your junior and senior years. Pick the program that is most appealing. Worse case scenario, go to a college counselor close by..they will have career advice services that have all of this info handy. 

Good luck!

Birds of a feather flock together.

LSN

Pardon Johnny Cash.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 05:13:49 PM »
Who doesn't switch their major a couple times anyways?  Pick what you want and then switch when need be.

scgl

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 05:17:37 PM »
Take classes in the areas that interest you during your first two years. You'll figure out what you enjoy and what you are good at. Other than keeping your grades up don't worry about it from a law school admissions prospective. If you do something that other people tell you is "easy" but you hate it, you likely won't do all that well anyway. Also, keep in mind that a lot of people who thought they wanted to go to law school when entering undergrad are doing very different things now. Your school will likely have a pre-law adviser who can help along the way as well.  

violaboy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 05:55:33 PM »
I did a double with economics and music.  But I also switched my major.  Just do what you like.

Wanabattorney

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2009, 06:22:55 PM »

Fair enough, thanks to those that replied.  Your advice certainly makes sense and while I do know that one should take classes that interest them, my concern is ending up getting a degree in whatever and for some reason not getting into law school.  Then I'll have a degree that may not really transfer or be "useful" in the job market. Now I say "useful" but I do think that most degrees can and should be considered of use in the job market.  Especially degrees in English, Economics, Political Science, the typical pre-law degrees. But as I'm sure we are all aware, most employers will want and do want people with degrees that are job specific for the most part. Like I stated before, these are times when it seems like everyone is concerned with specialization. I guess what I am really asking is for suggestions for degrees that can be applied to several areas or jobs.  Am I just wishing for the moon?  Are there any?
   Although I am planning on and will give my absolute best effort to get into law school.  I am trying not to let myself develop a self-fulfilling prophesy by being negative.  I want to be prepared or have a back-up plan just in case.

Scentless Apprentice

• Sr. Citizen
  • My ego isnt LSD strong but I still want to play.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2009, 06:42:37 PM »
Plain and simple - get a BUSINESS degree.

Most business programs will have these following majors to choose from: Business Administration, Finance, Real Estate, Management, Business Law, Accounting.

Each major takes classes in all disciplines..like I stated before, if you major in Finance you will take classes in accounting, management, biz law, etc.

Based on your comments, I would think something like that is right up your alley.

The degree is only the degree. You're going to have to sell YOURSELF in the job market. Most college degrees don't teach you how to do one particular thing. Hopefully, a degree will have taught you how to make better informed decisions and become a better writer. After that..it's up to you to find your 'niche'.

As always..it depends. I'm basing my advice on your desire to have flexibility.

Also, you keep saying "in case I don't get into law school." I think you'll find in your research that it's not that hard to get into a law school..it's just hard to get into a top program. Lots of schools won't have a problem taking $30k a year from you.     
Birds of a feather flock together.

LSN

Wanabattorney

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2009, 07:48:07 PM »

Scentless Apprentice,  Thanks, I will certainly take your advice into consideration.  I will most likely look into one of the majors you listed and possibly augment it with Political Science or Economics.

I know that I would need to sell myself in the job market but let's be honest, I think most people would think that a degree in say, Philosophy, would be hard to market in the work force. But it's certainly one of desired degrees in Graduate school, from what I have read anyway.

As far as me saying "in case I don't get into law school", it's just that I know it is quite competitive and I don't want to get hopes up too much. I tend to be a realist and given the way a lot of things in my life have worked out, I think I'm justified in being cautious or a bit pessimistic. I hope you're right though and once I get a couple of years of undergrad behind me I will be able to share your optimism.

Oh, one more thing. What is wrong with my writing?  Granted I'm know I'm not an expert word-smith but I thought I write fairly well.  Luckily, I know I will be taking plenty of writing classes in my pursuit of a law degree but you have given me a bit of a complex now.  Thanks.