Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How is Georgia Law?  (Read 1720 times)

SoulinNeed

• View Profile
How is Georgia Law?
« on: August 03, 2009, 08:26:12 PM »
I'm thinking about going there since it's pretty well ranked, good price, and has a good reputation from what people have told me, but I want more info. How are its career prospects? Do people coming out of Georgia Law actually get paid a decent amount (70,000+?). How is the location of the school. I wouldn't mind working in Atlanta (actually sort of like the idea) but does it have any national reach? I'm thinking between Georgia and Bloomington, but I'm not sure which one to go to, any help? Any first hand experience?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: How is Georgia Law?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 09:46:53 PM »
I'm thinking about going there since it's pretty well ranked, good price, and has a good reputation from what people have told me, but I want more info. How are its career prospects? Do people coming out of Georgia Law actually get paid a decent amount (70,000+?). How is the location of the school. I wouldn't mind working in Atlanta (actually sort of like the idea) but does it have any national reach? I'm thinking between Georgia and Bloomington, but I'm not sure which one to go to, any help? Any first hand experience?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Try Cornell. 

big - fat - box

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 09:58:37 PM »
Neither school is likely to get you to NYC or LA if that's what you mean by national reach. Both schools are good deals for in-state residents, bad deals for those paying out of state tuition.

Even in a very good year in a booming economy, less than 1/3 of the students from each school are going to get six figure jobs. Once you get outside the big firms, branch offices of big firms, and large regional firms, you're left with jobs that pay a lot less. Jobs that pay $70-90K are not common at all, though a small number do exist.

What I am saying is that if you don't get the big bucks job you are more likely to get a job that pays $50K or less, and not that many students from either school will get big bucks jobs.

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 10:01:51 PM »
Neither school is likely to get you to NYC or LA if that's what you mean by national reach. Both schools are good deals for in-state residents, bad deals for those paying out of state tuition.

Even in a very good year in a booming economy, less than 1/3 of the students from each school are going to get six figure jobs. Once you get outside the big firms, branch offices of big firms, and large regional firms, you're left with jobs that pay a lot less. Jobs that pay $70-90K are not common at all, though a small number do exist.

What I am saying is that if you don't get the big bucks job you are more likely to get a job that pays $50K or less, and not that many students from either school will get big bucks jobs.

To sum it up, try Cornell. 

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 11:46:16 PM »
Georgia will serve you very well. You will be pleased with your purchasing decision.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 12:16:28 AM »
Georgia will serve you very well. You will be pleased with your purchasing decision.

I agree, especially if one can get in-state tuition after the first year (I am not sure if that's possible or not in GA).  But, if the OP wants a degree that can reach nationally (CA, New York, Chicago, etc.), UGA is not the one.  UGA is great for GA, Florida, and maybe the Carolinas, but, that's about it.  Don't expect it to be do better in Houston than UH or to do better in Chicago than University of Illinois.

SoulinNeed

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 12:26:07 AM »
I'm really not looking for a national degree, and I wasn't really expecting GA to be that degree (or Bloomington). I was just curious. I'm not really expecting triple digit salaries either (the notion of that kind of salary at 25 seems too good to be true anyways, lol). All I really want is to find a school where I can find a job out of law school relatively easily, even if it is at around $50,000. According to their employment statistics, about a third of their graduates make triple digit salary out of law school, and not to overrate my abilities, but I believe I can come close to the top third. But then again, I'm a cautious person so I won't hold my breath. It's also seemed like a good alternative if I don't get into UIUC (like I said, I wouldn't mind living in Atlanta, and their tuitions are practically identical even if I am an out of state student for GA). 

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2009, 12:29:41 AM »
I'm really not looking for a national degree, and I wasn't really expecting GA to be that degree (or Bloomington). I was just curious. I'm not really expecting triple digit salaries either (the notion of that kind of salary at 25 seems too good to be true anyways, lol). All I really want is to find a school where I can find a job out of law school relatively easily, even if it is at around $50,000. According to their employment statistics, about a third of their graduates make triple digit salary out of law school, and not to overrate my abilities, but I believe I can come close to the top third. But then again, I'm a cautious person so I won't hold my breath. It's also seemed like a good alternative if I don't get into UIUC (like I said, I wouldn't living in Atlanta, and their tuitions are practically identical even if I am an out of state student for GA). 

GA will be just fine for what you're looking for. Just don't bank on the top 1/3rd. Not that I think you are, but that can't be said enough.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

just Trev

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2009, 12:30:20 AM »
in-state tuition is achievable for "almost everyone" by 2L.  this means you're looking at around $15k/year for 2L and 3L even if you get NO scholarship.  many out of state students are offered what they call a "tuition equalization scholarship" for 1L also, which gives you the in-state rate for first year.  

i'm pretty excited about attending UGA in the fall, but can't speak to the employment prospects ITE.  i think the best we all can hope for (no matter what school) is to work hard, try for good grades, and network our butts off.  

SoulinNeed

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2009, 12:33:41 AM »
in-state tuition is achievable for "almost everyone" by 2L.  this means you're looking at around $15k/year for 2L and 3L even if you get NO scholarship.  many out of state students are offered what they call a "tuition equalization scholarship" for 1L also, which gives you the in-state rate for first year.  

i'm pretty excited about attending UGA in the fall, but can't speak to the employment prospects ITE.  i think the best we all can hope for (no matter what school) is to work hard, try for good grades, and network our butts off.  
Well, here are their employment stats http://www.law.uga.edu/career/statistics/empstats05.html It's from 2005 (so it doesn't take into account the bad economic situation if you're graduating within the next couple of years, but it's the most thorough and honest employment stats for a law school I've ever seen).