Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: More on Success in Law School and Beyond  (Read 2126 times)

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
Re: More on Success in Law School and Beyond
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2009, 11:31:58 AM »

Seriously, and this is a good point. Things change, life changes, what you have today may not be there tomorrow. Ten years ago I was near broke then five years ago I was part of the wealthy landed gentry. Today through no fault of my own other than not seeing the writing on the wall and selling off my rental properties at the top of the market Iím much worse off than I was before I started law school. Material wealth comes, goes, ebbs, flows. There are good times and bad, and nothing lasts forever.

So you start over. At least successful people do, I donít know anyone I consider successful that has not had to start over at least once in their lives. Its builds character, part of that character is a bit of fear, fear that someday it all might be taken away from you, lose that fear and when it does youíre not mentally ready or able to start over, and that is where many people fail. Being successful is spite of failure or setbacks is what separates successful people from lucky people. Lucky people remain successful as long as their luck holds out, successful people are successful regardless and in spite of what life gives them because they make success happen on their own.

A fellow survivor!  I built my little empire in south St. Louis; 81 apts.  I thought I had life licked, then 17 months of marriage, a biased (female) magistrate, and a poor choice of attorneys *boom* all gone.  But like you said, successful people make their own luck and move forward.  Seven years ago I saw myself going to law school and today I'm writing this from campus; life is good.   ;)

I'd be willing to bet it won't be too long before the both of us are carving out chunks of real property, for ourselves, again.  There is just something about real estate once it gets in your blood!?

Well no divorce for me, but picking Phoenix AZ as the place to have my RE empire and banking on my units to pay off my student loans was, in hindsight, a bad idea.  Property values have dropped 50-60%, the market is flooded with vacant units and rents wonít cover the mortgages anymore. Nothing like selling at the bottom of the market to humble you. I'll be a slumlord again someday, but I'll do things diffrently this time, not so much levegraging properties to buy anouther.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

lovelyjj

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2009, 04:55:46 AM »
Do you have any advice for a young person just starting law school regarding school matters & life in general? :P

Thane Messinger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2009, 05:14:13 PM »
Do you have any advice for a young person just starting law school regarding school matters & life in general? :P

Aloha, Lovely JJ & All -

Young or not-so-young, how about two answers:

Starting with the second, life in general, be good.  Seriously.  This might sound corny or overly idealistic, but it's important nonetheless.  It's easy to get caught up in a hyper-competitive environment, especially in the world that is law school, but it's equally important to try to rise above it.  For one, employers couldn't care less who hid the reference to xyz memo so that others wouldn't find it, or who spread rumors about so-and-so to take them down a notch.  What they will care about is seeing someone with whom they can envision spending day in and day out of a stressful work life.  Being in good spirits is a big part of that, of showing your better self.  Too, being a good person is simply better.  You'll sleep better, you'll feel better, you'll be happier. 

As to law school, for those already in or about to start, read Planet Law School and the "Getting Good" part of my book, Law School: Getting In, Getting Good, Getting the Gold.  Self-serving?  Yes.  But there it is.  Among other reasons, the conventional wisdom in law school is almost completely wrong; the techniques commonly employed are ineffective or counterproductive; and the answer is obvious only after the opportunity to excel has already passed.  These are true because law school and law exams are very, very different from anything that has gone before: they test being a lawyer, not being a student.

For those not yet in law school, The Slacker's Guide to Law School has probably the best section on "Should I Go?" that I've seen.  Worth reading.

Above all, keep in mind that--while law school IS competitive--that doesn't mean we need to act badly in the process.  Keep your integrity, keep your eyes focused on the prize (learning the law well and getting great grades), keep your chin up, and as EdinTally and Matthies state, bouncing back from any setback is far more likely.

Thane.

PS:  EdinTally and Matthies, as to sitting down with some scotch, I think we might just be able to track down a few solutions.  = :  )  And, by the way, I've been in real estate as well, starting in construction at 13.  No kidding.  As someone who's been involved with and consultant to any number of start-ups, I couldn't agree more with both of your statements.