Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Cooley + Law Review/Moot Court/etc. or MSU with Nothing?  (Read 20798 times)

jbakguy

• View Profile
Re: Cooley + Law Review/Moot Court/etc. or MSU with Nothing?
« Reply #90 on: August 06, 2009, 06:12:42 PM »
Years from now, if you happen to be making hiring decisions, you can do whatever you want. Until then (unless you go into solo practice after law school) you're stuck with the hiring system currently in place. Arguing about it 'til you're blue in the face is pointless.

Which was my point exactly in my earlier post (which seems to have been deleted from the thread)  ??? Although the topic itself is important, especially if one is a median lower tier student pissed that biglaw is not banging down their door, the effort expended in this particular discussion could likely be better spent elsewhere, Like working to make yourself the kind of grad that bucks the trend.

Also, I was not trying to interject as some kind of impartial mediator which is impossible as I am a student at a lower tier school, I was just grumpy because my coffee had not kicked in.

vansondon

« Reply #91 on: August 06, 2009, 06:20:11 PM »
Years from now, if you happen to be making hiring decisions, you can do whatever you want. Until then (unless you go into solo practice after law school) you're stuck with the hiring system currently in place. Arguing about it 'til you're blue in the face is pointless.

Which was my point exactly in my earlier post (which seems to have been deleted from the thread)  ??? Although the topic itself is important, especially if one is a median lower tier student pissed that biglaw is not banging down their door, the effort expended in this particular discussion could likely be better spent elsewhere, Like working to make yourself the kind of grad that bucks the trend.

Also, I was not trying to interject as some kind of impartial mediator which is impossible as I am a student at a lower tier school, I was just grumpy because my coffee had not kicked in.

Yeah, a lot of my responses in this thread have been deleted too (although, I suspect the vulgar language they contained might have something to do with it). lol 

I apologize if I misunderstood your point.  I do understand your position, and Big-Fat-box's point as well; I'm just not going to allow these elitist arguments to go on unchallenged.

I don't drink coffee, so I don't know what it's like to have caffeine withdrawals... lol

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 06, 2009, 07:58:29 PM »
Holy hell.  This thread jumped seven pages in a day?  LSD has some life blood in it after all...

I haven't read them yet, but I'll respond.

MSU easily.

http://www.law.com/img/nlj/charts/composite.pdf

I don't see how the NLJ placement stats (or the employment stats in general, excluding academic attrition and transfers) support choosing MSU.  MSU's 3% NLJ placement, compared to Cooley's 0%, doesn't justify the transfer, IMO. 

It's not about the left side of the graph, it's about the right and the middle. MSU doesn't get people into prestigious firms at any great rate, but they do get them through school and into jobs at a much greater rate than Cooley.

I believe if OP can hold it down at Cooley, they can probably hold it down at MSU.

I think the attrition rate and transfer rate are not relevant now that "the friend" is a 2L with law review and moot court opportunities in hand.  I'm not very familiar with the Michigan hiring scene, but my guess is that a Cooley grad with law review and moot court is likely to secure a job easier than an MSU grad without either of those qualifications.

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 06, 2009, 08:06:17 PM »
I think vap has the best of this argument.

I got a thumbs up from Miss P?  I feel famous.  ;D

Illini Boy

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 06, 2009, 09:26:39 PM »
Just be glad you aren't having this conversation with me in-person.

:D :D :D Internet tough guy.  :D :D :D

vansondon

« Reply #95 on: August 06, 2009, 09:38:53 PM »
Just be glad you aren't having this conversation with me in-person.

:D :D :D Internet tough guy.  :D :D :D

Is that all you got?!  You're so weak!!

:D  :D :D Internet punk ass b itch!  ;D  ;D  ;D

vansondon

« Reply #96 on: August 06, 2009, 10:09:24 PM »
It's increasingly apparant that you're just trying to rationalize your own credentials.

to be fair, your position and mine are just as self-interested as his.

True. But we don't bear the burden of proving that our position isn't batshit crazy, so there's that.

And you can lick it up...

Frogconcept

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 06, 2009, 11:08:37 PM »
As a current Cooley student, I can say that having opened this thread to the last page and seen the posts, I'm looking forward to finishing studying for the night, pouring a nice Jameson on the rocks, and reading the back and forth hyperbole coming from both sides of whatever argument happened here. 

JeNeSaisLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 07, 2009, 01:23:37 AM »
tag!

hooloovoo has thoroughly impressed me in this thread.
LSN
Vanderbilt Class of 2011

xxspykex

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #99 on: August 07, 2009, 04:18:56 AM »

Yeah, a lot of my responses in this thread have been deleted too (although, I suspect the vulgar language they contained might have something to do with it). lol 

This website is goofy as hell. It did that with my posts as well. The posts go away when it goes to a new page for so many posts and then they come back after it hits the following page or something like that... Guess that's what happens when you use a forum that looks like it was designed in 1973.