Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: NYC Law Department  (Read 3095 times)

BearlyLegal

• LSD Obsessed
  • And the greatest threat to America is... Bears!!!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Newjoetm
    • View Profile
    • Email
NYC Law Department
« on: August 03, 2009, 03:30:31 PM »
How good is this place? I have heard good things, but I'd like to hear from some more people...

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: NYC Law Department
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 12:58:43 PM »
How good is this place? I have heard good things, but I'd like to hear from some more people...

I guess it depends what you mean by good.  There are a lot of very talented lawyers there and I am sure a lot of the work is interesting, but you end up having to fight against the little guy a lot (e.g., defending the city in police brutality, discrimination, and personal injury cases), the pay isn't fantastic, and the facilities are pretty broken down.
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

wtracing

• Sr. Citizen
  • Roll Angry Wave!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 04:42:07 PM »
I debated applying for this through my school as well but opted not to.  For me, it comes down to pay. Unless you are on no loans, or can use fed. loan repayment to cover your law loans (don't have private loans) I think it would be really hard to have a decent life in NYC on their pay.  However, in doing a bit of research on them it seemed people liked the job overall and found it to be a good learning experience.
Tulane Class of 2011

sarahlina

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 06:10:53 PM »
Does anyone know what the timeline for the application process is like once you have a callback interview?