Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How are single parents financing law school?  (Read 14375 times)

singlemomma76

• View Profile
How are single parents financing law school?
« on: August 03, 2009, 01:19:42 PM »
I am a 33 year old single woman with two kids ages 4 and 3. I got my undergrad years ago and have an ok career in computers. I feel like I'm not living up to my true potential and a career in law has been on my mind for the past several months.

The thing that concerns me is financing law school and how to afford daily expenses if going to law school full-time? Should I consider going part-time and keeping my current 8am-5pm job?

Any input you all have is greatly appreciated.

Freak

• Sr. Citizen
  • What's your agenda?!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - smileyill4663
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - smileyill
    • View Profile
Re: How are single parents financing law school?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 08:21:26 PM »
Loans, grants and scholarships. I would only recommend part-time to be with your children. I would not recommend working - at least not the first year.

Go to law school only if you really really want to work as an attorney and get into a decent school. You have two children to support. The risk of not landing a decent position is always there.

I'm a second year associate trial attorney and started at $50,000.00, above average for my town.
Freak is the best, Freak is the best!  Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
I don't like calling you Freak, I'd rather call you  Normal Nice Guy.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 08:41:35 PM »
PT is going to be the way to go.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

Luxhx77

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009, 11:16:19 PM »
Wow... really? 

The idea of going to law school when you are a single parent of a 3 and 4 year old is downright repulsive.  Your children need a mother, which would be impossible if you take on something like law school (full or part time).  And with the loans you would be taking out would necessitate working LOOOONG hours when getting out.   Being a parent should be a higher priority than finding your true potential professionally.

Be an adult and raise your children...  Think about law school after they move out...

Looking on this board it is frightening how many relatively new parents are thinking of going into law school.  While everyone is focusing on how well the PARENTS do, perhaps more time should be thought about the children and the effect law school/law work will have on them. 

saradsun

• Sr. Citizen
  • Off to Cali
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 10:22:16 AM »
what's repulsive is your judgment of other people.

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 01:11:21 PM »
what's repulsive is your judgment of other people.

who are you to judge?

js11287

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2009, 01:46:07 PM »
Wow... really? 

The idea of going to law school when you are a single parent of a 3 and 4 year old is downright repulsive.  Your children need a mother, which would be impossible if you take on something like law school (full or part time).  And with the loans you would be taking out would necessitate working LOOOONG hours when getting out.   Being a parent should be a higher priority than finding your true potential professionally.

Be an adult and raise your children...  Think about law school after they move out...

Looking on this board it is frightening how many relatively new parents are thinking of going into law school.  While everyone is focusing on how well the PARENTS do, perhaps more time should be thought about the children and the effect law school/law work will have on them. 

Maybe this individual's way of being a mother is getting a better education so she can have a good job to support her family. There are plenty of people who balance other responsibilities with law school.

Luxhx77

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2009, 02:44:08 PM »
sure sara... typical that you would be in Berkeley.  Whats funny is that if you went to an animal shelter to get a dog around Cal and told them you were in your first year of law school and single... you would be rejected.  They wouldnt allow you to adopt an animal.  And Rightly so...  Because it is cruel to have a puppy and be gone 8-12 hours a day everyday.  But a woman with a 3 or 4 year old... who are we to judge?

goaliechica

• LSD Obsessed
  • It's only forever - not long at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2009, 03:34:09 PM »
sure sara... typical that you would be in Berkeley.  Whats funny is that if you went to an animal shelter to get a dog around Cal and told them you were in your first year of law school and single... you would be rejected.  They wouldnt allow you to adopt an animal.  And Rightly so...  Because it is cruel to have a puppy and be gone 8-12 hours a day everyday.  But a woman with a 3 or 4 year old... who are we to judge?

I really shouldn't get into this, but at the very, VERY least, law students are not "gone 8-12 hours a day everyday," and certainly not more so than someone who has a full-time job (of the kind required to, you know, feed your children). Many law schools have special parent-friendly sections, and even non-parents have a lot of flexibility over their schedules. There is a lot of work to be done, but absent the maybe 14-15 hours of actual class per week, you can do the majority of it from home.
Quote from: Earthbound SNES
Get a sense of humor, Susan B. Anthony!
Quote from: dashrashi
I'm going to cut a female dog. With a knife with a brown handle, natch.
Quote from: Elephant Lee
Don't judge me. You've not had my life.

ksully

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2009, 03:51:40 PM »
Wow... really? 

You're an idiot. Time away from kids is time away from kids, it really doesn't matter if its to go to school or to go to work. In fact, it probably a little easier going to school because at least you can flex your time. Being a lawyer isn't the only job the requires long hours and not all lawyers work long hours.