Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How are single parents financing law school?  (Read 13936 times)

bluerose1482

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: How are single parents financing law school?
« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2009, 11:20:58 PM »
Let this be warning:

I know THREE families who each had a stay at home parent, yet their children also had drug problems. Therefore, if a parent does not go to lawschool, there is a 100% chance their children will have a drug problem. 

My children are doomed!  I was a stay-at-home mom until they started school and now I'm planning to go to law school.  So there must be a 500% chance that they'll be drug addicts.   ;)

richhardan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2009, 03:44:16 PM »
Although i am not yet attending law school i am preparing to do so.  I am a single father with a 2 year old daughter, and as of right now i am the manager of a local grocery store.  so as you could imagine i am not making a ton of money but i did find someone that has helped me to realize my dreams and helped me to see that they don't only have to be dreams.  I found an excellent and trustworthy financial expert, and with his help i have finally made it possible for me to go back to school and hopefully start earning some real money.  Hopefully this can help out someone else as well, i just wanted to share my story since it seems to be similar to many of yours!

Angry Gorilla

• I'm Angry!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2009, 09:17:02 PM »
Although i am not yet attending law school i am preparing to do so.  I am a single father with a 2 year old daughter, and as of right now i am the manager of a local grocery store.  so as you could imagine i am not making a ton of money but i did find someone that has helped me to realize my dreams and helped me to see that they don't only have to be dreams.  I found an excellent and trustworthy financial expert, and with his help i have finally made it possible for me to go back to school and hopefully start earning some real money.  Hopefully this can help out someone else as well, i just wanted to share my story since it seems to be similar to many of yours!

You seem to be under the odd impression that lawyers these days earn real money.
And what, as a single father, attracted you to a financial expert who focuses solely on women?

mccarthy

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2009, 11:39:21 PM »
Yea, but Matthies, that isnt the question.  Its not if the woman can handle it, but how her kid copes with having an absent parent.

And to freak...I actually do know a single parent who went through law school while her son was a toddler... she did very well, bought a house in marin while working in a decent law firm in SF.  Her son was my roommate as an undergrad and dropped out as a sophmore due to having a heroin addiction.  He absolutely hated his mother, and had major problems with self-esteem.

I also have a cousin who passed away from Methadone when he was 23.  Almost the same story... wealthy background but absent parents, no love, no discipline... both got into it around 12-14 cuz no one was around. 

The idea that people can have it all is a complete myth.  Everyone only has 24 hours to a day.  If you decide to have children, that necessitates sacrifices in other areas of life... thats just a fact.
[/quoteand

What, did you get your undergrad degreee in bunk sociology? Your arguments tell me that you need to read a book or maybe a few about cognitive psychology or statistics. Time to put nature vs nurture to bed. You are an idiot who doesnt know how the brain works. Parenting methods don't produce particular types of children. There is no tabula rasa.

legalized

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2009, 12:17:09 PM »
I am a 33 year old single woman with two kids ages 4 and 3. I got my undergrad years ago and have an ok career in computers. I feel like I'm not living up to my true potential and a career in law has been on my mind for the past several months.

The thing that concerns me is financing law school and how to afford daily expenses if going to law school full-time? Should I consider going part-time and keeping my current 8am-5pm job?

Any input you all have is greatly appreciated.

4 and 3 is rough.  I would wait til they are a little older, esp. cause they are so close together...

You can get a scholarship to law school, and live off student loans and the child support money.  And move to a cheaper place.  And have your car paid off before you start.  Have a parent move in with you.

Etc.

2 small children constantly needing your attention is going to be a big strain on your ability to focus unless you decide to have them spend a portion of every day in childcare or at a sitter so you can concentrate...