Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Opinions on becoming a paralegal to help fund school.  (Read 1418 times)

Wanabattorney

• The law is reason free from passion.--Aristotle
    • View Profile
    • Email
Opinions on becoming a paralegal to help fund school.
« on: August 02, 2009, 07:07:13 PM »
  Hello, I'm new here.  I have a question for everyone. What is your opinion on someone becoming a paralegal to help fund school.  I have been out of work for months and I want to pursue a B.A. in Political Science and apply to law school.  Given that I have been unemployed for so long, I would like to find a decent paying job while I pursue my degree.  I was considering getting a Paralegal Certificate and hopefully find a paralegal position, then return to school to get my B.A.  What are your opinions/advice?  Thanks.

mugatu

• LSD Obsessed
  • I'll show YOU pacifist.
    • View Profile
Re: Opinions be becoming a paralegal to help fund school.
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 07:47:23 PM »
In general, it is best to keep student debt from undergraduate education at an absolute minimum based on the possible salaries college graduates are likely to obtain.  That said, I would be impressed if being a paralegal would provide enough flexible time to attend classes (unlike, say, a job at a restaurant at nights for example.) 

Firms may also wish their paralegals to have college degrees.
Let me show you Derelicte. It is a fashion, a way of life inspired by the very homeless, the vagrants, the crack whores that make this wonderful city so unique.

They're break-dance fighting.

Wanabattorney

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2009, 08:09:12 PM »

You do have a point and that would be a factor.  It's just as I said, I am having a hell of a time just finding some random, nothing job so I can start school.  I am former military and have the G.I. Bill thankfully but I do need to start earning an income.  Right now it's just my wife who is making any money.  I was hoping to be able to start earning a decent salary and I do know that paralegals do work some long hours fairly often.  Although I would do what is needed to get my degree. Online classes for instance.  I am just considering all options and trying to figure out the best way to go about it.  Thanks again for your input.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2009, 08:28:19 PM »
I endorse this idea.

I know a few people that were paralegals while in UG and they all seemed to do pretty well in school and always had money.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

Wanabattorney

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2009, 08:37:04 PM »

That's what I was thinking.  Provided that having a Paralegal Certificate will be enough to get hired.  I have messaged a few law offices to get their input/opinions and I'm waiting to hear back from them.  If it's determined that I won't be able to find a paralegal position with just a certificate then I will have to determine my best course of action.  Thanks.

big - fat - box

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2009, 09:06:03 PM »
First find out if the paralegal certificate will even get you a job. That means calling around and talking to people that hire paralegals, such as legal temp or legal placement agencies, law firms, etc. Act like you're doing an informational interview, set an appointment if necessary. It may be that the paralegal cert. won't cut it, or that there are no paralegal positions available in your area b/c of the economy.

Also, you need to figure out what your work schedule will be like assuming you can find a job. Will that work with the classes you need to attend to get your BA? Can you do the BA part-time and work full time, etc?

Lastly, I would not get a BA in poli sci. You don't need that to go to law school and it won't help you once you are in law school. Get a degree that will actually help you find a job or do something else in case law school doesn't work out or if you decide to work for a few years before going to law school. In other words, do not get a liberal arts degree b/c they essentially have no value on the job market.

Scentless Apprentice

• Sr. Citizen
  • My ego isnt LSD strong but I still want to play.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2009, 09:17:55 PM »
I had a friend in a study group during UG that was a paralegal. You will probably have to take night classes. I think this is a good thing...the night crowd usually has a high ratio of working professionals that bring interesting outside experiences to class discussions. Also, depending on how far along you are in UG, take as many online classes as you can for lower division courses.

I strongly agree with what box said above. Don't major in Poli Sci, unless it's some bizarre passion of yours. What about a major like Finance/Management/Economics? These majors usually require at least one class in Business Ethics, Business Law, Accounting, and Management. You will probably have an easier time persuading employers with a more 'rounded' degree. IMO.   
Birds of a feather flock together.

LSN

just Trev

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2009, 12:07:49 AM »
get an engineering degree.  TITCR.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2009, 05:00:21 AM »
get an engineering degree.  TITCR.

This assumes a lot.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

just Trev

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2009, 10:26:36 AM »
what's been up your butt lately?