Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 3.82 LSDAS... What LSAT for the following and for ED  (Read 1080 times)

Skywalker925

• View Profile
3.82 LSDAS... What LSAT for the following and for ED
« on: August 02, 2009, 05:41:27 AM »
l

elle-y

• View Profile
Re: 3.82 LSDAS... What LSAT for the following and for ED
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 02:14:10 AM »
My only advice is take a few years and grow up. I say this with love, because I've been there, and done that, and 3 years after starting law school just about as young as you, I'm just about to start the process over because I was just TOO young and not mature enough. There is no way in hell anyone was ready to respect me, let alone a 23 year old attorney when the time came.

Get a few years of work experience, learn how to be an adult, and in that time gain some relationships that will lead to some solid LORs and some life experience to write about.

Plus, if you've never had ANY work experience, you have no idea what you're about to get into. Law School requires ADULT relationships, and if you've never had any, you're about to get in way too deep.
3.1 / 156

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 05:14:27 AM »
My only advice is take a few years and grow up. I say this with love, because I've been there, and done that, and 3 years after starting law school just about as young as you, I'm just about to start the process over because I was just TOO young and not mature enough. There is no way in hell anyone was ready to respect me, let alone a 23 year old attorney when the time came.

Get a few years of work experience, learn how to be an adult, and in that time gain some relationships that will lead to some solid LORs and some life experience to write about.

Plus, if you've never had ANY work experience, you have no idea what you're about to get into. Law School requires ADULT relationships, and if you've never had any, you're about to get in way too deep.

Lol at this ridiculous advice that is basically to go be a poor for a few years, piss away any chance at decent academic LORs, and put off getting started in your ADULT career in favor of some *&^% job that will do nothing for you long term.

That sure would suck if you made partner somewhere by the time you're 30-32...
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

Skywalker925

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 07:28:59 AM »

Lol at this ridiculous advice that is basically to go be a poor for a few years, piss away any chance at decent academic LORs, and put off getting started in your ADULT career in favor of some poo job that will do nothing for you long term.

Yeah that is exactly what I was thinking. I mean I think it might be at OCI, but I am wondering how it will hurt me for law school admissions. I will worry about OCI later I guess.

Hey NINJA1...I tried using Top-law-schools.com, but they are pretty rude over there. You seem to be the only one active on this site.HAHAHA. Wanna help me out? What would the verdict be on my circumstances? With numbers above the medians and an ED application... would they look over my mediocre LOR's and young age? Is it truly a numbers game where I just have to solely worry about high numbers or will other factors keep me out?

violaboy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 10:50:31 AM »
Law schools are sometimes wary of some of the younger students.  I don't know if they've had bad experiences or what.  I'd assume that for USC/UCLA, you'll need about a 168, and for the others, and for ED Columbia and NYU, 172-173.

Georgiana

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 11:24:01 AM »
Yeah that is exactly what I was thinking. I mean I think it might be at OCI, but I am wondering how it will hurt me for law school admissions. I will worry about OCI later I guess.

Hey NINJA1...I tried using Top-law-schools.com, but they are pretty rude over there. You seem to be the only one active on this site.HAHAHA. Wanna help me out? What would the verdict be on my circumstances? With numbers above the medians and an ED application... would they look over my mediocre LOR's and young age? Is it truly a numbers game where I just have to solely worry about high numbers or will other factors keep me out?
People are rude everywhere... plus LSD is practically dead at this point. 

LS won't care about your age.  We have a girl here that was 18 when she started law school.  I was barely 21 when I started.  Its no biggie.  Whether you'll get hired by Biglaw is another question that I can't answer. 

As far as numbers go, use the sites everyone points you to (lawschoolnumbers.com and lawschoolpredictor.com and hourumd.com) its not hard.  People that give you advice are just plugging your numbers in there anyway, why not just do it on your own and see the results first hand :)  Also, don't ask what LSAT score you need, its not like you should stop trying if you reach a 168 consistently.  You should want a 180, period.  The question should not be "what is the lowest score I can get?" the question should be "how can I get the highest score possible?" 

Good luck with everything.  Study hard, keep your grades up, get good LORs, write an awesome PS.  With your GPA, I wouldn't bother with an ED app anywhere, keep your options open and maybe you'll end up with some money.   

violaboy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2009, 12:22:43 PM »
I have seen some who have very high numbers but get waitlisted almost everywhere they apply.  Others, no.  Here's someone who was fine, it seemed.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/koopatroopa/

scgl

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2009, 01:23:11 PM »
I agree that your age will not be much of a factor. It appears that your soft factors are relatively average, which could work against you a bit. However, if your LSAT is above the median then you will have a good chance. If you fall into the 25-50% that is when your mediocre LORs and odd college grade history could hurt you. If you score well you should be fine though.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2009, 05:23:24 PM »

Lol at this ridiculous advice that is basically to go be a poor for a few years, piss away any chance at decent academic LORs, and put off getting started in your ADULT career in favor of some poo job that will do nothing for you long term.

TLS kind of sucks. I used it for 5 minutes and found it unappealing. It seems like everyone there is a T3/4 striver and jumps your *&^% if you disparage California Western or Florida Coastal. Life is better here.

Worry about the numbers, everything else is secondary. If you're at or above the medians in both LSAT and GPA, you're pretty cool almost everywhere unless you have a violent felony or something.

Mediocre LORs will do, but try to get all three from college professors if you can. Of course, you need LORs and the more they speak to you and your abilities, the better. But schools know that lots of people can't get really good LORs because they bounced around like you did or they were just always in big classes and never had a chance to get to know their professors. Just try to get academic ones, the high school one will do if it has to, but only use it if you have to.

Your age won't matter at all. You'll be one of the only 20 year olds (I think we had one this year in our class of 200 something), but it won't matter at all.

In short, your GPA is good enough that your LSAT will pretty much determine where you go. Just kill the LSAT, get as good of LORs as you can, and everything will fall into place. You are positioned to do well in life.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

Skywalker925

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2009, 06:11:56 PM »
h