Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Are Native Hawaiians Considered URM?  (Read 4099 times)

dM

• View Profile
    • Email
Are Native Hawaiians Considered URM?
« on: July 30, 2009, 06:59:48 PM »
I've actually had conflicting answers on this one; each definition i've seen for law schools fails to designate beyond "Native American," but in some definitions, like the AAMC definition, the term "Native American" denotes Native Hawaiians and Native Alaskans also.  Is it perhaps a school-by-school designation?

Thanks

changethegame

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Are Native Hawaiians Considered URM?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 08:12:22 PM »
Nope, unless you're Filipino, Laotian or Cambodian...possibly Poly. Chinese, Japanese and Korean are definitely out.

legalized

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 04:42:02 PM »
I've actually had conflicting answers on this one; each definition i've seen for law schools fails to designate beyond "Native American," but in some definitions, like the AAMC definition, the term "Native American" denotes Native Hawaiians and Native Alaskans also.  Is it perhaps a school-by-school designation?

Thanks

Call each school you are interested in and ask them. I am sure they mean to include native hawaiians and native alaskans but you know how the gov't is, it is probably so rare to see them outside of hawaii that they forget to make sure everyone notes them as well and just lump them all in under native american.  Cause technically, I guess, since Hawaii is now part of the U.S., they ARE native americans.

CJScalia

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 04:16:48 AM »
URM = African American, end of discussion. Some people try to tell themselves that Latino qualifies; it doesn't.
3L
Law school completed.
Bar exams next.

legalized

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 12:49:25 PM »
URM = African American, end of discussion. Some people try to tell themselves that Latino qualifies; it doesn't.

You sure about that?

What about Native Americans? They are even more under-represented than blacks!

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 01:33:01 PM »

Native Americans get a serious URM boost. I know a 1/4 native american (registered) who got a substantial scholarship from a T20 with a 3.3/159.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

CJScalia

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2010, 03:25:17 PM »
That's true, I forgot about them. As we all should, 99% of them got their "tribal membership cards" by method of fraud anyway. "Oh, one time in 1949, my grandmother hooked up with a Cherokee!". GTFO.

I do not believe Native Hawaiians are considered in this though.
3L
Law school completed.
Bar exams next.

mbw

• LSD Obsessed
  • TTTundra Law 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2010, 04:07:23 PM »
That's true, I forgot about them. As we all should, 99% of them got their "tribal membership cards" by method of fraud anyway. "Oh, one time in 1949, my grandmother hooked up with a Cherokee!". GTFO.

I do not believe Native Hawaiians are considered in this though.

Where did this come from?  I do hope you're just being your usual snarky self.

And to answer the question, many schools do consider both Native Hawaiians and Native Alaskans as URMs.  Probably more do than not.
I'm in a lynch mob?  I had no idea.  This is really worrying; I really don't have time for another extra-curricular activity.

space for rent.

CJScalia

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2010, 08:47:05 PM »
Where did this come from?  I do hope you're just being your usual snarky self.

Of course, that doesn't mean I'm not right.
3L
Law school completed.
Bar exams next.

mbw

• LSD Obsessed
  • TTTundra Law 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2010, 07:55:54 AM »
Where did this come from?  I do hope you're just being your usual snarky self.

Of course, that doesn't mean I'm not right.

Actually, you're not right.  The vast majority of tribes, including the Dine (Navajo), have BQs of 1/4th or more.  Yes, the Cherokee are lineal descent, but it's almost impossible to get a membership card without solid proof of an ancestor on the Dawes Rolls - just ask the Cherokee Freedmen.  

There are plenty of groups which probably deserve some form of snarky ridicule.  But picking on the least powerful is like an NFL linebacker shaking down a kindergartener for her lunch money.
I'm in a lynch mob?  I had no idea.  This is really worrying; I really don't have time for another extra-curricular activity.

space for rent.