Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 3.67, 175 LSAT  (Read 2297 times)

HopefullyHarvard2011

• View Profile
3.67, 175 LSAT
« on: July 30, 2009, 01:38:14 AM »
Hi everyone, this is my first post! A few years back, my study habbits were atrocious. I began undergraduate school without a plan; I eventually came to the conclusion I had a passion for law. I brought a 3.0 GPA up to a 3.67 (University of Florida), and recently took the LSAT (175). I decided two years back it was Harvard Law or Bust. I began studying for classes harder, and studying portions of the LSAT. For now I'm hoping my hardwork has paid off; I'm by no means overly intelligent but I tried my hardest.

- What are my chances?

LSAT: 175
Undergrad Major: Health Science
Electives: Heavy Journalism/Writing
UGPA: 3.67
Volunteer: Measly 60 hours of helping disabled children as an OT aide.
Personal Statement: Falls into the 'Decent-Solid' Category
Work History: Part-Time 20 hours weekly throughout college (retail)

goaliechica

• LSD Obsessed
  • It's only forever - not long at all.
    • View Profile
Re: 3.67, 175 LSAT
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 02:02:27 AM »
Hi everyone, this is my first post! A few years back, my study habbits were atrocious. I began undergraduate school without a plan; I eventually came to the conclusion I had a passion for law. I brought a 3.0 GPA up to a 3.67 (University of Florida), and recently took the LSAT (175). I decided two years back it was Harvard Law or Bust. I began studying for classes harder, and studying portions of the LSAT. For now I'm hoping my hardwork has paid off; I'm by no means overly intelligent but I tried my hardest.

- What are my chances?

A 3.66/177 with similar(ly generic) softs didn't get me Harvard two cycles ago. But sometimes people get in with a sub-3.7. You never know. Your numbers don't make you a safe bet, though. Also, if you haven't applied yet, shouldn't you be HopefullyHarvard2012?

Also: http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com

ETA: You will certainly get into Columbia, NYU, Chicago, etc., though, so all is not woe.
Quote from: Earthbound SNES
Get a sense of humor, Susan B. Anthony!
Quote from: dashrashi
I'm going to cut a female dog. With a knife with a brown handle, natch.
Quote from: Elephant Lee
Don't judge me. You've not had my life.

HopefullyHarvard2011

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 02:09:31 AM »
Just wish my GPA would have been better.

As for the 2011-- seems odd, but I didn't even notice. I don't plan on applying until 2013. I use '2011' for my E-mail address, AIM SN, and MSN. Two of my favorite numbers combined (baseball & Hockey), but not related to the year 2011.

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 01:20:40 PM »

- What are my chances?

Is that still the case?

Why though?  Many Harvard grads end up working for the same firm and doing the same job as say a Penn or a Duke grad. 

Are you white or Asian?  Any chance that you have a grandparent or great grandparent who is Black, Native American or Hispanic? 

HopefullyHarvard2011

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 09:24:17 PM »
I'm white, I get no URM breaks unfortunately. It's a shame; each set of grandparents immigrated (legally) from Italy/Ukraine. Which means my family has less lineage in this country than most African-Americans. I feel discrimnated against for having a mixed European ancestery - just because I look white doesn't mean my family has had it easier. I hope one day law makers change AA to a level of income measure. Just a thought though; as for your statement about "...Duke, UPenn." You're right, but I was attracted to the prestige of the Harvard name, like many. I will apply to other schools (Cornell,NYU,Duke,UofM) also. The Harvard name presented motivation, and a willingness to succeed to achieve that goal. My story might sound cliche; instead of going through the motions in my life. I realized I had the opportunity to make something of myself now - instead of harboring regret for years to come. I realized the opportunity laid at my feet, and I tried my hardest.

chi2009

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2009, 06:49:40 PM »

- What are my chances?

Good luck.  You have good numbers, but numbers aren't everything.  I seriously doubt that going to Harvard versus other top schools will be the difference between big law and the streets.