Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Last Second Decision Any Advice  (Read 1933 times)

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Last Second Decision Any Advice
« on: July 29, 2009, 10:05:04 PM »
So I am from California and have been planning on attending Michigan State, but my Fiance just got this great job in San Francisco and her parents are offering us a house to live in S.F. rent free.  I had been accepted at Golden Gate with a 16,000/year scholarship and wanted to see if there was anyway to still get in. So I e-mailed Golden Gate and they said I could still enroll if I pay the seat deposit by Friday. 

So the rent free and half tuition will put my law school debt pretty low for GGU. Plus  Working in the Bay is what I have always wanted to do also and I imagine Golden Gate gives me the better option than MSU to accomplish that. 

Still Golden Gates Rep kind of scares me the probation, attrition rates, and just a low morale feeling of the school have me a little hesitant.  Michigan State is without question a better school, but for my fiance I don't know what in God's name she would do in Lansing and the their is no scholarship there eithere so the debt will be pretty huge.  I just want anyone's two cents on this situation. MSU will be a good school, but seriously jeopardize my relationship, and put me in some hardcore debt.  While Golden Gate will save me a lot of money, but I will be at a less than ideal school. 

big - fat - box

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Last Second Decision Any Advice
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 10:13:37 PM »
MSU won't work if you need to be in CA, that's pretty clear.

GGU is the bottom of the barrel and only marginally better than a non-ABA CA school. I cannot recommend you go there in good conscience. Plus, the scholarship is probably tied to 1L performance and I can assure GGU will have a vicious grading curve.

My best advice to you is to not go to either school in the fall. Get a job and reapply next cycle. Study for and retake the LSAT.

Remarq

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 10:38:01 PM »
I don't know anything about Golded Gate, but I can say 100% do not go to MSU Law. Whether you should go to Golden Gate now or whether you should retake the LSAT and apply again this fall, I'm not qualified to say. But they both are vastly better options than going to MSU given your circumstances.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 11:26:44 PM »
A lot of negativity towards MSU I am noticing, but I do realize there is a bad chance for placement in California. Maybe I should just re-apply.  However, I really want to start law school.  I wish Chapman or any of the other Bay Area schools would have let me in.  Does anybody have any positve stories about Golden Gate

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 12:31:04 AM »
Chapman isn't likely to get you a job in the Bay Area. Your best bet is to study for the LSAT, retake, and reapply. Though you may be anxious to get started with school, starting school at a place that is unlikely to yield future employment for the sake of starting is counterproductive. 
Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French

just Trev

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2009, 12:40:54 AM »
Chapman isn't likely to get you a job in the Bay Area. Your best bet is to study for the LSAT, retake, and reapply. Though you may be anxious to get started with school, starting school at a place that is unlikely to yield future employment for the sake of starting is counterproductive. 

TITCR

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2009, 04:05:54 AM »
What does the post above mean?

just Trev

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2009, 10:34:33 AM »
This Is The Credited/Correct Response

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2009, 01:28:52 PM »

GGU is the bottom of the barrel and only marginally better than a non-ABA CA school. I cannot recommend you go there in good conscience. Plus, the scholarship is probably tied to 1L performance and I can assure GGU will have a vicious grading curve.

My best advice to you is to not go to either school in the fall. Get a job and reapply next cycle. Study for and retake the LSAT.

TITCR

just Trev

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2009, 12:39:23 AM »

TITCR

i don't see how that's different than the advice i already credited...