Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LSAT prep course  (Read 2828 times)

dthompso20

• View Profile
    • Email
LSAT prep course
« on: July 29, 2009, 07:59:14 PM »
Hi everyone,

There doesn't seem to be many people around these parts, but I thought I'd give it a try.

Anyone ever take an LSAT prep course? I'm thinking about it before I take the test but I want to make sure it's worth the $1300 before I commit.

Is there anyone willing to share their experiences? What about online LSAT prep courses?

-Donald

prospectivelaw27

• View Profile
Re: LSAT prep course
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 10:54:48 PM »
I took a Testmasters course, which was quite helpful. The main thing with a prep course is that it gives you definite scheduling forcing you to sit down and do the work. If you're very proactive and dedicated then you can definitely accomplish what I did through self-study (buying all the practice tests)

seclit1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 09:23:29 AM »
a test prep course could help for some people but for the truly dedicated person they can reap the benefits of self-study alone.

advantage for test prep:
break down of your score, questions, question types, explanations for all questions, someone teaching you and able to put it into "other words" for you, and help to those who prefer a classroom experience to learn.

self-study advantage:
save money, dont have to attend class in weird times or obscure places that r foreign to you, study at ur own pace

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2009, 04:44:10 AM »
I never took one, but I know a lot of people that have. Almost everyone said it helped a little, but not very much, like maybe 1-2 points above what they think they would have otherwise got. Of course, 1-2 points can make for a world of difference in admissions outcomes.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

js11287

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 02:55:21 PM »
I am in the middle of a Princeton Review class, and I think that it was worth every penny.Although I have been doing a lot of practice on my own as well, the class helped me a lot by helping me to specifically target which question types I was having problems with and learning new approaches.

california00

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 11:21:50 PM »
does anyone know much about the kaplan classes?

Law School Podcaster

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2009, 01:57:12 PM »
this is not an advertising forum

--post edited by EC

The Mark

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2009, 01:15:09 AM »
I'm smack dab in the middle of a Testmasters course right now. Admittedly, I've been a slacker and haven't been doing the homework. However, the material is still making sense to me, and I plan to use my free time after the class is done to master the concepts I'm learning now. The online material they provide is very helpful as well. There are explanations to many, many of the questions, access to a helpline, and even video explanations for some of the questions. My teacher is really good too, which I hear can make all the difference. So, look into who the teacher is going to be and try to meet them ahead of time if possible to get an idea of what to expect.

PurplePug

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2009, 10:59:32 PM »
I am about 2/3 through a PR course. Everyone said PR was awful but I am finding that the course is dramatically improving my mastery. I do well on reading comp & arguments, but games have always been a nightmare. I tried to learn games on my own but had little success. Through the class I've been able to learn all of the potential game types and have been forced to practice them over and over so that they are now fairly easy. I got a great discount on my class which brought it to $800 instead of $1300. I'd say it's been well worth it, but won't know for sure until after the Sept test.

ny160

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2009, 12:00:44 AM »
Hi PurplePug!
would you let me know how to get such a big discount?  Many thanks in advance!