Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: took 3 years off, where to start  (Read 2602 times)

frankie4c

• View Profile
    • Email
took 3 years off, where to start
« on: July 29, 2009, 01:03:21 PM »
 :-\
i began law school in the fall of 2004 and completed 2 of the 3 years requuired for a J.D. degree. then i had to take a 3 year leave of absence due to a death in the family and the fact that my father is owner and president of a major food manufacturing company and i stepped in as vice president bc my uncle died and that was his job. now i am going to begin finishing my last year (i have 24 credits to go) on august 20th.

however, it is almost 5 years since i started my studies and needless to say, im a little fuzzy on diversity jurisdiction and the exceptions to the hearsay rule. so i bought a civ pro crunchtime and a bunch of other emanuel outlines.

what would be a good order to tackle the subjects in.  i think property, civil procedure, obviously conn law, torts, crim law, and corporations are all important for me to re-learn.

anyone have a similar situation of some advice on the order in which i should review all the subjects? please feel free to suggest other subjects that would be good to review :-\

frankie4c

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: took 3 years off, where to start
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 01:32:06 PM »
 :'(
11 ppl have viewed this post, nobody has any suggestions. should i use bar bri outlines, lexis nexus outlines, anybody, please throw me a line. i have til aug 20th to prepare, i just dont know where to start :'(

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 01:35:07 PM »
I wouldn't do anything yet.  If you run across something in your class that you don't remember/understand, look it up then.

You'll be relearning everything for the bar anyways.

frankie4c

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 01:48:17 PM »
I wouldn't do anything yet.  If you run across something in your class that you don't remember/understand, look it up then.

You'll be relearning everything for the bar anyways.
thats one way of looking at it, but im going back to school without adderall. i was on adderall from 9-24 years of age. im going back to law school without any meds. so i will read slower so i wanna know this sh*t before i start again

MorningStar

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 02:07:36 PM »
What an exceptionally strange reply to botbot's advice.  Since when do 2L/3L electives require anything more than cursory knowledge of Con Law, Civ Pro, and the other fundamentals?  You'll be fine.  Sign up for what seems interesting and do a little brushing up here and there if you feel you need it.  Enjoy the end of your summer, you'll have plenty of time to put yourself through hell studying for the bar.

frankie4c

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2009, 02:15:00 PM »
What an exceptionally strange reply to botbot's advice.  Since when do 2L/3L electives require anything more than cursory knowledge of Con Law, Civ Pro, and the other fundamentals?  You'll be fine.  Sign up for what seems interesting and do a little brushing up here and there if you feel you need it.  Enjoy the end of your summer, you'll have plenty of time to put yourself through hell studying for the bar.

thanks a lot. as i said, my family business is a very large food manufacturer with over 300 union employees. i dont plan on taking the bar because i have to negotiate a new union contract around that same time.  plus we always retain outside attorneys so i would never have to sign documents or appear in court as an attorney.

what i am most concerned about is that i have completely forgotten how to cite cases in legal writing, and write legally at all.  i still have 2 out of 4 writing classes to complete and they are the hardest of the 4

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2009, 04:48:05 PM »
what i am most concerned about is that i have completely forgotten how to cite cases in legal writing, and write legally at all.  i still have 2 out of 4 writing classes to complete and they are the hardest of the 4

Just keep a bluebook by your side when you are writing until you get the hang of it.  You'll get right (write? :)) back into the flow once you start class.

Read some modern Supreme Court opinions if you are really as terrified as you let on.  This is an easy way to familiarize yourself with the basics of legal writing.

StrictlyLiable

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2009, 10:37:31 AM »
i began law school in the fall of 2004 and completed 2 of the 3 years requuired for a J.D. degree. then i had to take a 3 year leave of absence due to a death in the family and the fact that my father is owner and president of a major food manufacturing company and i stepped in as vice president bc my uncle died and that was his job. now i am going to begin finishing my last year (i have 24 credits to go) on august 20th.

however, it is almost 5 years since i started my studies and needless to say, im a little fuzzy on diversity jurisdiction and the exceptions to the hearsay rule. so i bought a civ pro crunchtime and a bunch of other emanuel outlines.

what would be a good order to tackle the subjects in.  i think property, civil procedure, obviously conn law, torts, crim law, and corporations are all important for me to re-learn.

anyone have a similar situation of some advice on the order in which i should review all the subjects? please feel free to suggest other subjects that would be good to review :-\

Why in God's name would you leave a career as an executive and heir apparent at a major food manufacturer to go to law school in the midst of the worst legal market EVER? That sounds a bit retarded to me.

frankie4c

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2009, 11:40:37 AM »

Just keep a bluebook by your side when you are writing until you get the hang of it.  You'll get right (write? :)) back into the flow once you start class.

Read some modern Supreme Court opinions if you are really as terrified as you let on.  This is an easy way to familiarize yourself with the basics of legal writing.

thank you very much, i will read some SCourt opinions

frankie4c

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2009, 11:45:40 AM »

Why in God's name would you leave a career as an executive and heir apparent at a major food manufacturer to go to law school in the midst of the worst legal market EVER? That sounds a bit retarded to me.

once i get my J.D. degree, my salary and dividends from the 10% of the company i own get increased by 75%, so instead of making 118K/year, i will b making 206.5K. plus, the biggest regret i have in li8fe is that i never finished law school. i have an opportunity few people in this world get, the opportunity to get rid of my biggest regret in life, which is, obviously, that i had to step up for the family's sake and not finish law school.

my friends from law school treated me like a joke, but im sicilian, our company was founded by my great-grandfather so it is the legacy of 3 generations of Celauro's before me and i intend to pass it on to my kids. i think you are assuming that i will be working in a law firm after my 3L year, but in reality, i will be promoted to senior VP of Warehousing and Operations, as well as taking on the duties of general counsel and liaison between management and the union.