Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Need help deciding  (Read 776 times)

mastergameaok

• View Profile
Need help deciding
« on: July 28, 2009, 12:00:24 PM »
My current GPA 2.97 at Michigan State (James Madison, if that means anything to you), and assuming I get in the range of 160-165 on LSAT I was planning on applying to American, UF, FSU, Miami, and a couple other backup schools.

I'm pretty sure my no. 1 is UF but they do not take ED, but American does and is very tempting to use it to get a better chance at getting in?  What do other people recommend doing?

Remarq

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Need help deciding
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 01:25:08 PM »
Study hard for the lsat, there is an ocean of difference between a 160 and a 165 in terms of admission. Also, make sure you perform really well this semester and get that gpa above 3. 

Check out this website: http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/?page_id=11

mastergameaok

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 01:38:23 PM »
I will be applying in october so I will be unable to do so.

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 01:39:10 PM »
My current GPA 2.97 at Michigan State (James Madison, if that means anything to you), and assuming I get in the range of 160-165 on LSAT I was planning on applying to American, UF, FSU, Miami, and a couple other backup schools.

I'm pretty sure my no. 1 is UF but they do not take ED, but American does and is very tempting to use it to get a better chance at getting in?  What do other people recommend doing?

Do you want to be in Florida?  If so, why even bother applying to American?  How about GSU?  UMississippi?  Why do you have a crappy undergradute GPA?  

mastergameaok

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 02:00:55 PM »
I have such a bad GPA because my freshman year I had a tough time transitioning into college, along with being involved in James Madison which is a residential college which is a liberal arts and taught by Ivy league teachers are really grade tough freshman year as to weed out those who aren't dedicated.  I started freshman year off badly with a 2.48 gpa and since then I have managed to get it up to 2.97.

mastergameaok

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009, 02:07:50 PM »
Does being a double major (Political Theory & Constitutional Democracy (James Madison) and History). Do anything?

Remarq

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2009, 02:30:38 PM »
Does being a double major (Political Theory & Constitutional Democracy (James Madison) and History). Do anything?

Sadly no. The only thing that really matters are hard numbers. It sucks, but its true. If you are up against someone with sim numbers then and only then do soft factors matter. Law schools worship at the feet of the USNWR Rankings God. gpa, lsat. thats what matters.

Also, A lot of schools will not have responded by the end of december when your fall grades come in. Showing a great semester and getting your overall gpa above three will only help you.

mastergameaok

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2009, 03:00:50 PM »
Does LSAC automatically send my december scores as well or should I resend them? Or?

Remarq

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2009, 03:21:01 PM »
After fall grades come out you send an updated copy to LSAC just like you did the first time, then LSAC sends an updated copy to the schools you have applied to.

big - fat - box

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2009, 03:57:33 PM »
That gpa is not that bad. Worry about the lsat now. Forget about your list of schools until you have a real lsat score.