Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Question for 2l and 3L  (Read 3052 times)

Kathy2op

• View Profile
Question for 2l and 3L
« on: July 28, 2009, 11:16:28 AM »
Hi everyone,
I couldn't find the exact answer on my question from the previous threads, so I decide to just ask again.
For all of you, current 2L and 3L, from your experience, is it a good ides to get for my first year classes all new casebooks but used (with some highlighting/underlining) hornbook, supplements and all other secondary staff?
The price of the new cases already brought it up to over $600, and with new supplements it will nearly double it...
So guys, did you find it useful in your 1L to be the first one who marks you casebooks but go with used hornbooks, or should I get them all new or all used?
Thanks for any advise!

bryan9584

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Question for 2l and 3L
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 11:23:37 AM »
For 1L, I got all new case books (mostly because there were no used books at the bookstore) and borrowed supplements from 2L friends (which some were written in). Personally, I prefer to mark up what I think is important and would not want to be distracted by someone else's highlighting/underlining/notes.

In conclusion, I suggest spend the money buying new and save money by making friends with 2L students that will let you borrow their supplements.

big - fat - box

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 11:39:45 AM »
I highly recommend buying used books. If you want to buy them from the bookstore, look for a copy that doesn't have TOO much writing in it.

Unless you are so anal retentive that you absolutely must have a casebook with NO writing in it, there is no reason to buy new books. Personally I buy 90% of my casebooks used off amazon.com and half.com and have never had a problem with a book that was highlighted so bad I couldn't read it.

For supplements, I get used if possible b/c the vast majority of used ones have little to no writing in them. You'd be surprised how many students will buy a supplement and then never crack it open or write in it. Same thing with 2L and 3L casebooks.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 05:04:22 PM »
Used is best so long as they're not too vandalized. At first, you'll only notice the price difference. In time, the real value of having a well highlighted book during an unfortunate encounter in class will become apparent, even if you didn't do the highlighting.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 06:26:46 PM »
Dont buy supplements.  Dont.  There is no need for it.  I purchased two throughout all of law school.  One was the wrong supplement (waste of money as a result) and the other was written by my professor (and I only used that for the exam).

So,

1) supplements: dont buy
2) casebooks: buy lightly highlighted if you can find them.  I didnt get used books too often cause I have to highlight myself as I read to keep my attention, but in the end I bought used books and didnt have any problems with them.  I just find ones highlighted by someone pretty conservative.

whoknows123

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009, 08:50:49 PM »
I'll second the advice to buy new.  Personally, it was sort of distracting when others had already highlighted.  Of course, if it wouldn't bother you, then don't spend the extra cash.

RobWreck

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2009, 09:42:56 PM »
The only issue with buying used & marked-up textbooks is trying to figure out whether the previous owner sold the books back after he joined law review or sold them back after he failed out... big difference on who's previous highlighting you want to look at.

St. John's University School of Law '11
Part-time PM Division
Admitted in NY

RobAnonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2009, 09:49:13 PM »
It really is a personal preference.  I have never really highlighted things in my life and I did not plan to start in law school.  I bought most of my books off amazon.  I do not mind highlighting and as someone mentioned I found it useful once or twice in a pinch when I was not prepared enough and the previous owner was nice enough to highlight the important part of a case.

I never really book briefed (always typed up a brief in my computer so I could pair it with class notes on the case) but I could definitely see how highlighting and marks would hinder your ability to book brief.  I found it convenient when someone already did the work of noting the important part of the case.  My torts book even had some funny comments in the margins with the writer apparently talking to themselves because they would write notes like "really?!" or "That is BS" etc...

I seemed to do the same grade wise regardless of whether I had a new book or a used book with significant highlighting.  The cost savings can be significant for some books and sometimes the highlighting can be a convenient time saver when studying or if you type your briefs.

Of course, there is the caveat that if the previous owner of your book was a dolt and you don't realize it you could end up not learning what you need to learn, but that's why you shouldn't really take them at face value.  You need to figure the material out on your own either way.

Final answer:  If you think you'll be book briefing at some point then go with new or used with limited marks or highlighting, otherwise just save your money and get a decent used book.

hawkpilot

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2009, 10:25:44 PM »
As with all things, it depends.  We have had 2 professors allow you to take notes in the book and then held an open book exam.  You would certainly want a new book in that situation. 

I personally prefer new books because I have a multicolor highlighting system and need a fresh canvas.

just Trev

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2009, 12:22:20 AM »
As with all things, it depends.  We have had 2 professors allow you to take notes in the book and then held an open book exam.  You would certainly want a new book in that situation. 

I personally prefer new books because I have a multicolor highlighting system and need a fresh canvas.

what school is this?