Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: GPA Addendum  (Read 815 times)

jtgain

• View Profile
    • Email
GPA Addendum
« on: July 28, 2009, 11:01:46 AM »
I will finish my undergrad next spring with a 3.1 LSAC GPA.  I have a 3.95 since returning to school and I had a 2.6 from 15 years ago.  I dropped out of school due to Anxiety & Panic Disorder, Alcoholism, and just plain being lazy.

I want to set this out in the addendum, but I want to strike the right balance.  I want to let the adcomms know of the issues, but I don't want to sound whiny or that I am using these things as a crutch.  It was 15 years ago and I have accomplishments since then under my belt.  I also don't want the adcomms to worry that these issues might spring up again.

Any suggestions?

violaboy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: GPA Addendum
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 11:48:41 AM »
I will finish my undergrad next spring with a 3.1 LSAC GPA.  I have a 3.95 since returning to school and I had a 2.6 from 15 years ago.  I dropped out of school due to Anxiety & Panic Disorder, Alcoholism, and just plain being lazy.

I want to set this out in the addendum, but I want to strike the right balance.  I want to let the adcomms know of the issues, but I don't want to sound whiny or that I am using these things as a crutch.  It was 15 years ago and I have accomplishments since then under my belt.  I also don't want the adcomms to worry that these issues might spring up again.

Any suggestions?

Emphasize this in your addendum.  Many non-traditional students like you have this issue, but have shown over time that you are reliable human beings.

non parata est

• Sr. Citizen
  • buh??
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 12:42:33 PM »
Right.  Don't dwell too much on why you did poorly 15 years ago.  The message you want to send isn't that your past performance should be excused, it's that it's irrelevant given your success since then.
Quote from: Lionel Hutz, Esq.
Well he's had it in for me ever since I kinda ran over his dog... Well, replace the word "kinda" with "repeatedly" and the word "dog" with "son."

jtgain

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 12:48:04 PM »
Right.  Don't dwell too much on why you did poorly 15 years ago.  The message you want to send isn't that your past performance should be excused, it's that it's irrelevant given your success since then.

So should I mention it at all?  Should I just state that I did not finish school 15 years ago without giving a reason or mention it briefly and move on?  Thanks for all of the help.

violaboy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 01:04:40 PM »
Emphasize that it's not representative of your future performance in law school for such and such reasons.

js11287

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 09:36:11 AM »
I'm  planning on writing a similar addendum. Based on what I've learned from my adviser and current law students who were in the same situation, I would say that it is most important to emphasize the difference between then and now. You're "fortunate" because there is a very distinct difference in what you achieved fifteen years ago and now; definitely stress that you learned from your prior experience and came back strong, that your current GPA reflects your renewed dedication, etc. I wouldn't go into extreme detail about your experiences 15 years ago.