Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Texas Tech  (Read 1608 times)

lawschool812

• View Profile
Texas Tech
« on: July 28, 2009, 05:00:32 AM »
I'm currently finsihing up my first year at a T4 law school.  Just got my first transfer acceptance letter.  Need to know if Texas Tech is a good law school.  It is currently ranked in Tier 3 but after being on ther website, it seems like they should be at least T50-100.  Bar passage rates are always near the top (90%) and their advocacy teams seem to be either champs or runner-ups.  It boggles my mind how Texas Tech can be ABA approved since 1969 but can't seem to crack the top-100.

Anyone have helpful information to share about Texas Tech (i.e. reputation, social life, professors, job prospects, OCIs, etc)?  I would appreciate it!

big - fat - box

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Texas Tech
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 06:06:48 AM »
The difference between the job prospects at tier 2 (and even some tier 1s) isn't that great compared to tier 3/4.

Where are you now? Do you have a scholarship there? Where do you want to practice?

Texas Tech is fine and a good choice if you are a Texas resident. I suppose the main disadvantage of the school would be that it's not near the two biggest legal markets in Texas (Houston and Dallas), which means finding a job through networking will be tougher unless you want to work in the part of the state the school is in.

LawMan21

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 02:22:18 PM »
Don't bother unless you want to practice in Texas

lawschool812

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 03:31:54 PM »
BigFatBox - thanks for your detailed response.
LawMan - thanks for your opinion.

I'm currently at a T4 school in Michigan.  For now I prefer not to say where I am currently studying for various reasons.  There's only 2 T4 schools in Michigan so take your pick, I don't see a big difference between the 2 anyways.  I do not have a scholarship.  Full time tuition here is around $27,000, while full time tuition for non-residents at TTU is $21,000.  If and when I become a resident of Texas, my tuition will only be $17,000.  I also researched that Lubbock is $100-$150 cheaper in per-month rent rates for apartment units.  I am a resident of California, so I am a bit closer to friends and family.  I want to do IP law of some sort and TTU has the facilities and the concentration/classes fit for that field of law.  In a perfect world, I would want to practice law in either Nevada or California.  Just be reading over TTU's OCI program, it seems like I will have better opportunities at TTU in landing a summer job/clerkship compared to the school I am currently in.

What do you think?  TTU good enough to transfer to even though I would want to practice law in Cali?

big - fat - box

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 03:36:55 PM »
Lawschool812,

check your personal messages.

LawMan21

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009, 03:50:14 PM »
That certainly changes the scenario. If you are currently in Michigan, I expect you would have significantly better opportunities in Nevada and California at Texas Tech.

What is your current class rank? Did you apply to any CA and Nev. schools?

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2009, 05:06:15 PM »
Texas Tech will serve you well. Congrats.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

x

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2009, 06:06:36 AM »
I want to do IP law of some sort and TTU has the facilities and the concentration/classes fit for that field of law. 

A friends son graduated from Baylor University with a degree in Mechanical Enginerring (with high honors).  He went to TT and did VERY VERY well (2008 graduate).   He is now doing IP somewhere in Maryland.