Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Can lawyers legally call themselves "doctor"?  (Read 12544 times)

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
Re: Can lawyers legally call themselves "doctor"?
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2012, 01:20:02 PM »
A lawyer should not want people to call them "doctor" because people will think they have lots of money which is misleading for most lawyers. People may also expect us to be extraordinarly smart which is not the case. I think its legal for anyone to call themself "doctor". Its only when you cut someone open or prescribe meds which triggers illegality. For example, take "Dr. DRE", he got away with it for years but didn't face legal problems because he doesn't prescribe meds - Neither did Dr. Suess

alert media.

people in show biz show their nasty parts in public, too.  do that mean lawyers should too?

cooley3L

« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2012, 06:19:31 PM »
someone with j.d. but without ph.d, for chrissakes.  no one dispute whether someone with ph.d properly called doctor.

in land of blind, one-eyed person do all work.

Law school professors who have JD's and no Ph.D don't call themselves doctor, but I never had a professor in another discipline who held a J.D..

I think I'll just have students call me by my first name or professor if they feel the need for formality.
You guys miss the point, I am saying that the Prof for BarBri(Kaplan owned) BarPrep that they teach at law schools via recording (the one with the PhD which I mention only to stree he is educated) tells that it would be a wrong answer on an MPRE question to say it is ok to advertise that your attorneys are all "Juris Doctors" since ethics boards expect you to use the "idiot standard" where if even an idiot would fall for it, you can't do it. That is what I was trying to tell you.

Not saying BarBri can't be wrong, but it's what their JD/PhD Prof has on tape going to law schools across the nation.

HolmesBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2012, 05:05:47 PM »
It sounds like the lecturer was trying to reinforce the idea that truthful statements are prohibited in advertising if they are misleading. A layperson seeking a med mal lawyer might think they are contacting a medical doctor/lawyer if the ad states "juris doctor."

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2012, 05:35:12 PM »
someone with j.d. but without ph.d, for chrissakes.  no one dispute whether someone with ph.d properly called doctor.

Law school professors who have JD's and no Ph.D don't call themselves doctor, but I never had a professor in another discipline who held a J.D..

I think I'll just have students call me by my first name or professor if they feel the need for formality.
You guys miss the point, I am saying that the Prof for BarBri(Kaplan owned) BarPrep that they teach at law schools via recording (the one with the PhD which I mention only to stree he is educated) tells that it would be a wrong answer on an MPRE question to say it is ok to advertise that your attorneys are all "Juris Doctors" since ethics boards expect you to use the "idiot standard" where if even an idiot would fall for it, you can't do it. That is what I was trying to tell you.

Not saying BarBri can't be wrong, but it's what their JD/PhD Prof has on tape going to law schools across the nation.

Sorry if I missed the point, but my response was merely in reference to my question about what to have my students call me.
But it makes sense that the ethical rules would cut against using the term Doctor in any ads.

cooley3L

« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2012, 06:37:09 PM »

Sorry if I missed the point, but my response was merely in reference to my question about what to have my students call me.
But it makes sense that the ethical rules would cut against using the term Doctor in any ads.
It's ok, for all I know BarBri set me up for failure full of BS. In 6 weeks I should now (6 weeks for all MC bubblesheet answers that could be graded by a computer in less than a minute flat........yep........ :P)

Where are you a Prof at? In law or another field?

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2012, 10:46:43 AM »

Where are you a Prof at? In law or another field?

I'm a lawyer right now, but I'm teaching some state college classes at night.  I'm teaching political science this semester and business law next semester.  I don't know why, but I don't really want students calling me "Mr. _____" or using my first name. 

cooley3L

« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2012, 08:44:27 PM »
Can you get them to call your Prof_X? I don't recall any teacher doing that in undergrad much, but even some private high school teachers go by it.