Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Can lawyers legally call themselves "doctor"?  (Read 12161 times)

FalconJimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Can lawyers legally call themselves "doctor"?
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2012, 07:23:58 PM »
Additional question.  I am teaching a college political science class this fall.  How douchey, on a scale of one to ten, would it be to ask them to call me Doctor?

In a college?  Not douchey at all.  A zero.

Anywhere else?  A 10+

FalconJimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2012, 07:25:32 PM »
In MPRE prep the Prof talks about how ethics boards use the "what would fool an idiot" standard. As such saying your firm only hires "Jurious Doctors" (even with the Juris in front of it) would be an ethics violation in most states,

No it wouldn't, provided that you only hired JDs.  That would mean, of course, that your receptionist was a JD.  So would the guy who cleans the offices after hours. 

FalconJimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2012, 07:27:19 PM »

Chiropractors ARE doctors  ::) ::) ::)

So are witch doctors. 

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2012, 07:31:56 PM »
Additional question.  I am teaching a college political science class this fall.  How douchey, on a scale of one to ten, would it be to ask them to call me Doctor?

In a college?  Not douchey at all.  A zero.

Anywhere else?  A 10+

oh really?  find one j.d. without ph.d who use title.

cooley3L

« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2012, 08:04:59 PM »
In MPRE prep the Prof talks about how ethics boards use the "what would fool an idiot" standard. As such saying your firm only hires "Jurious Doctors" (even with the Juris in front of it) would be an ethics violation in most states,

No it wouldn't, provided that you only hired JDs.  That would mean, of course, that your receptionist was a JD.  So would the guy who cleans the offices after hours.
well, then the guy with the PhD who is recorded on those Kaplan MPRE prep videos is lieing to everyone then.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2012, 09:08:09 PM »
someone with j.d. but without ph.d, for chrissakes.  no one dispute whether someone with ph.d properly called doctor.

in land of blind, one-eyed person do all work.

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2012, 10:50:27 AM »
someone with j.d. but without ph.d, for chrissakes.  no one dispute whether someone with ph.d properly called doctor.

in land of blind, one-eyed person do all work.

Law school professors who have JD's and no Ph.D don't call themselves doctor, but I never had a professor in another discipline who held a J.D..

I think I'll just have students call me by my first name or professor if they feel the need for formality.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2012, 11:29:31 AM »
exactly.  j.d. without ph.d not usually teach in college, but there few out there--and bad form, indeed, call self "doctor."

in europe, maybe different result.

mac n cheese

• the top feels so much better than the bottom
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2012, 07:53:37 PM »
A lawyer should not want people to call them "doctor" because people will think they have lots of money which is misleading for most lawyers. People may also expect us to be extraordinarly smart which is not the case. I think its legal for anyone to call themself "doctor". Its only when you cut someone open or prescribe meds which triggers illegality. For example, take "Dr. DRE", he got away with it for years but didn't face legal problems because he doesn't prescribe meds - Neither did Dr. Suess
maCNCheese

HolmesBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2012, 10:05:39 PM »
I agree that you that may not use a title to mislead, but "Dr. Dre" is a stage name and "Dr. Seuss" is a pen name.