Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Can lawyers legally call themselves "doctor"?  (Read 12856 times)

lawrookie

Can lawyers legally call themselves "doctor"?
« on: July 27, 2009, 11:21:36 PM »
The lawschool degree is "jurious doctorate" so can a lawyer legally call themselves a "doctor" such as "doctor smith attorney at law"?

Pardon Johnny Cash.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Can lawyers legally call themselves "doctor"?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 11:23:28 PM »
The lawschool degree is "jurious doctorate" so can a lawyer legally call themselves a "doctor" such as "doctor smith attorney at law"?

I have a friend who was told in law school that they can.  However convention says you can't.

eta: you get the esquire tag instead.

vansondon

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 12:02:20 AM »
This is a tough one.  This has been heavily debated.  In my view, I would say that yes attorneys can, but they generally don't because the law profession has its own terminal degree. Lawyers with the S.J.D or D.J.S. (Doctor of Juridical Science) are more inclined to call themselves doctor, since this is the actual terminal degree of the law degree.

lawrookie

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 12:15:13 AM »
I wonder how many lawyers get the full DJS?

For those with just the JD has anyone know anyone to call themselves Doctor with it? Is so with what result?

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 12:30:51 AM »
For those with just the JD has anyone know anyone to call themselves Doctor with it? Is so with what result?

Chuck Norris usually stops by for a swift roundhouse kick to the face.

But seriously, I don't know anyone who would call himself or herself a doctor by virtue of the JD.  Probably because nobody cares, and it doesn't matter.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009, 02:42:19 AM »
There's some opinion out of Texas that's supposed to be the standard for most places. It was from a bar ethics committee or something like that and said J.D.s could call themselves doctors so long as they weren't in a position to give someone a false impression of being a medical doctor, like if they did med mal or something where the title "doctor" reasonably makes a person think "medical doctor".
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2009, 10:28:08 AM »
this would be bad form:  even more pretentious than usual for lawyers.

lawrookie

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2009, 01:24:14 PM »
That would make sense since people with a DBA call themselves doctor, and in fact most professors in college who call themselves doctors(with the obvious exception of medical colleges) aren't MD's, and in general I think most people who go by Doctor aren't MD's either. Chirporactor, Shrinks, Pharmacist, Archelogists, Micro-Biologists, Zoologists,ect.

There's some opinion out of Texas that's supposed to be the standard for most places. It was from a bar ethics committee or something like that and said J.D.s could call themselves doctors so long as they weren't in a position to give someone a false impression of being a medical doctor, like if they did med mal or something where the title "doctor" reasonably makes a person think "medical doctor".

TimMitchell

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2009, 09:02:41 AM »
That would make sense since people with a DBA call themselves doctor, and in fact most professors in college who call themselves doctors(with the obvious exception of medical colleges) aren't MD's, and in general I think most people who go by Doctor aren't MD's either. Chirporactor, Shrinks, Pharmacist, Archelogists, Micro-Biologists, Zoologists,ect.

Chiropractors ARE doctors  ::) ::) ::)

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2009, 03:17:46 PM »
Legally, I can call myself king of the universe if I want to. That doesn't mean people won't laugh at me for doing so.

I do believe the issue went before some ethics advisory board who OKed it as long as there wasn't an appearance you were calling yourself a medical doctor.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?