Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Does College matter?  (Read 4012 times)

M_Slim_L

Does College matter?
« on: July 27, 2009, 03:46:20 PM »
Hello all,

Does it matter which college you attend before applying to law school?  As long as I keep a high GPA and score well on my LSAT, does the college in which i attended really affect which law school i can get into?

I am currently accepted into UCF but can also get into FSU and UF.  Would a great GPA from UCF be worth less than a great GPA form UF? 

UCF is closer, cheaper, and has a lot of classes i wish to take.  UF and FSU are further away and a little bit more money.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
Re: Does College matter?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 03:59:18 PM »
Hello all,

Does it matter which college you attend before applying to law school?  As long as I keep a high GPA and score well on my LSAT, does the college in which i attended really affect which law school i can get into?

I am currently accepted into UCF but can also get into FSU and UF.  Would a great GPA from UCF be worth less than a great GPA form UF? 

UCF is closer, cheaper, and has a lot of classes i wish to take.  UF and FSU are further away and a little bit more money.

Not really, no. Good GPA, good LSAT, low debt, and being happy where you go to school mater most. Sure maybe for Yale or Harvard UG would come into play, but the vast magority of people won't go to those law schools anyway. Go where you will be happiest now, worry about LS applications in four years. Going to UCF is not going to keep you from getting into the vast magoirt of law schools, and certainly not impact you as much as poor grades or low LSAT would. So go to the school you want to go to, take the classes you want to take and enjoy the next four years of your life. Oh, and try not to get arrested (easier said than  done for me in UG).
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

M_Slim_L

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 05:04:55 PM »
lol. Thank you for the reply. 

Do law schools look at the amount of time it took you to earn your degree as well?
Lets say I took 5 years instead of 4.  Would that hurt my chances at some of the higher law schools?

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 05:12:02 PM »
lol. Thank you for the reply. 

Do law schools look at the amount of time it took you to earn your degree as well?
Lets say I took 5 years instead of 4.  Would that hurt my chances at some of the higher law schools?

probably not, again, maybe at the very tippy top schools, but most schools don't care. It was 12 years between my freshmen year and when I actually graduated UG, life got in the way and I quite for awhile. I don't think it had any effect on my applications.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

vansondon

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 05:39:26 PM »
I would concur with the majority, here.  No, it doesn't really matter.  LSAT, GPA, Personal Statement, LORs, Personal Background etc., are what really matter in the thick of a decision.  However, I think admission committees may recognize that a 3.0 at Yale is not quite the same as a 3.0 at Norfolk State (individual majors notwithstanding); in any event, I doubt such a recognition would come down to a make or break decision in an admission, denial, deferral, or waitlist of it all. 

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2009, 06:34:54 PM »
Your UG doesn't matter as long as it's somewhere legit. That said, I think the better the UG you go to (see: the harder they work you), the better prepared you are for law school. I also suspect that Florida and Florida State both show loyalty to their alumni during admissions, but that's not a big deal.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2009, 09:08:35 PM »
I also suspect that Florida and Florida State both show loyalty to their alumni during admissions, but that's not a big deal.

Exactly.  The OP will be fine going to UCF.  He/she just needs to keep that GPA up and study hard for the LSAT if he/she wants to go to UF or FSU!

M_Slim_L

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2009, 11:09:28 PM »
Thanks a lot for the help everyone.