Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: GULC w/ 10k grant or NYU/Columbia w/o grant?  (Read 3748 times)

42kilometers

• View Profile
Re: GULC w/ 10k grant or NYU/Columbia w/o grant?
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2009, 09:27:33 AM »
FYI, while the bidding deadline for OCI has passed for continuing students at NYU, they leave spots open for transfers, who don't bid until August 10th.  If you are accepted, you have until August 7th to accept their offer and still take part in OCI with no prejudice whatsoever.

As for CLS, on the other hand, their bidding deadline is today.  So if you are accepted, keep in mind that you probably can't particpate in their OCI, and if you can, you will be at a severe disadvantage.

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2009, 10:02:47 AM »
I was recently admitted to GULC with a grant of 10k per year.  I am still waiting to hear from NYU and Columbia.  On the off chance I get admitted to either in the next few weeks, what do you think would be the better option.  I doubt NYU or Columbia will provide any money so the decision will come down to 10K with GULC or no money and NYU/Columbia. 

I would chose NYU or Columbia over G-town in a second...  Even if I had a full ride to G-town.  Its a great school, but it is certainly a step below the others.  Money comes and goes, there is something to be said for getting the best education available. 

just Trev

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2009, 10:45:52 AM »
columbia. 

TITCR.

scgl

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2009, 11:49:52 AM »
I agree that Columbia is probably the best overall choice and is likely worth the money (if you are not too worried about the extra debt in the long-term). It has great legal prestige and excellent lay prestige (which people should not completely discount). Better in both regards than NYU and G-Town. However, don't listen to the guy talking about getting the "best legal education." The actual education will be very similar at all three (good profs and smart students). The places where you would likely learn the "most" and have the most accessible profs. are not the top law schools (where they focus mostly on their research and teaching is something they love but that is secondary). You have only good options here!

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2009, 03:33:23 PM »
I agree that Columbia is probably the best overall choice and is likely worth the money (if you are not too worried about the extra debt in the long-term). It has great legal prestige and excellent lay prestige (which people should not completely discount). Better in both regards than NYU and G-Town. However, don't listen to the guy talking about getting the "best legal education." The actual education will be very similar at all three (good profs and smart students). The places where you would likely learn the "most" and have the most accessible profs. are not the top law schools (where they focus mostly on their research and teaching is something they love but that is secondary). You have only good options here!

not true, columbia and nyu have smarter students, which pays off in terms of whatever you actually get out of the socratic approach. 

scgl

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2009, 03:52:57 PM »
1. Very few of your upper level classes will be Socratic.
2. The difference in the students is very small once you get to the T14. I don't really think "smarter" is too accurate, so you should be especially pleased with the placement boost you would get at CLS over NYU or Gtown. The very top few students at CLS may well be special though because of their excellent grant programs (as in turned down YHS).

School       Median GPA       Median LSAT
Columbia:        3.71           172
NYU:             3.70           171
GTOWN:           3.65           169  (that is with PT)
Day              3.67           170

Susan B. Anthony

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2009, 03:55:03 PM »

not true, columbia and nyu have smarter students, which pays off in terms of whatever you actually get out of the socratic approach. 

Without accepting the idea that there is a significant or appreciable difference between the intelligence of students at GULC and Columbia/NYU, which I find suspect, that is utter bull. If a professor has any skill at the Socratic Method/teaching in general, you will get out of class what s/he wants you to get out of class. In almost all circumstances, students aren't going to actually bring incredibly insightful realizations to the discussion that the professor didn't have in mind. And if the professor isn't skilled...the class will drag no matter how bright the students are.

The quality of the students is more important, perhaps, in seminars/discussion based classes, but that depends on the suspect assertion that there's a difference significant enough to matter.

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2009, 09:20:17 PM »

I think you would hard pressed to find much difference in student qualify. Socratic questioning is always a little lame from a pedagogical standpoint- I really wouldn't count on getting that much from it at any school.

That said, I think that given the relatively small grant Columbia is the best choice.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

Resident CLS Troll

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2009, 06:42:18 AM »
I think you would be hard pressed to find much difference in student qualifty. Socratic questioning is always a little lame from a pedagogical standpoint- I really wouldn't count on getting that much from it at any school.

I'd like to use this post as an example of how GULC students are constantly forgetting to use verbs and confusing their t's and f's.

(Just kidding!  Don't ban me!  :P )

For the record, I think that GULC with full ride might be a better call than CLS or NYU sticker.  But not with 10k.

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2009, 09:45:46 AM »
I don't go to any of the three law schools (went to a T20 school but have friends at all of them).  I still think there is a difference in the quality of the students.  I know not all upper level classes use the socratic method (although the vast majority do), but I still think that the education is better.  And, even if not, the employment opportunities are significantly better at Columbia than G-town.