Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: GULC w/ 10k grant or NYU/Columbia w/o grant?  (Read 3821 times)

takumi

• View Profile
GULC w/ 10k grant or NYU/Columbia w/o grant?
« on: July 26, 2009, 06:58:36 PM »
I was recently admitted to GULC with a grant of 10k per year.  I am still waiting to hear from NYU and Columbia.  On the off chance I get admitted to either in the next few weeks, what do you think would be the better option.  I doubt NYU or Columbia will provide any money so the decision will come down to 10K with GULC or no money and NYU/Columbia. 

I have an interest to work in the federal government or public interest generally but don't want to rule out firm work either.  I definitely want to stay on the east coast and preferably the north east such as NYC or Philly but like DC too.  Will top 5 schools make a real difference in my job search and should a total savings of 20k keep me from going for those top 5 schools?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

big - fat - box

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: GULC w/ 10k grant or NYU/Columbia w/o grant?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 07:06:05 PM »
There is a significant difference in job propects between these schools.

Considering how expensive they all are, $20K is a pretty negligible difference. I would go to Columbia/NYU if it becomes an option, even if you want to be in DC eventually.

If you want public/interest govt, I've heard that NYU has one of the best LRAP programs out there. As for big firm jobs: the OCI deadlines may have passed at these schools already. If so, getting a big firm job is going to be tough. Also consider that the economy is in the toilet right now and big firm hiring has been seriously curtailed compared to what it was in past years.

raheeltransfers

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 10:41:52 AM »
Hi there, congrats on GULC decision and best of luck on NYC/Columbia.
Can you please tell us when were you admitted to GULC?, and whether it was part-time or full-time? 

Resident CLS Troll

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 10:46:06 AM »
Obviously I have a horse in this race.  That said, ditto bfb's comment that there is a significant difference in job prospects.  The gap is probably worth significantly more than $20k.

gmasonlaw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 12:04:14 PM »
Congrats!  It's very impressive that you were selected for the grant.   But, I do agree with the previous poster's comment that $20k is not a big deal in the grand scheme of things.   If you are debating between taking $20k to go to a lower ranked school (i.e. GULC) or sacrificing $20k to attend your Big Apple dream school,  I would confidently choose the latter.

If it weren't tied down to the D.C. area, I would definitely have applied to Columbia!

scgl

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2009, 12:40:53 PM »
The other posters are correct to note the placement differences; however, if you really are set on going down the government or public interest paths the money can be important and Georgetown would be a great place to go (esp. w/10k), particularly if you want to work for the Federal Government in the long-term. 

big - fat - box

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2009, 07:32:44 PM »
I wouldn't choose a school based on fed. govt. jobs. Fed govt jobs for entry level attys are much, much less plentiful than most law students realize. If you don't believe me, ask your school for access to the "Arizona Govt Honors Handbook". It goes through each agency and details the number of apps and spots available. You'd be surprised how many agencies hire less than 10 people annually, and those agencies recruit nationally. With the economy and GULC's huge class size, lots of students there are going to be fighting over the few fed govt jobs available and no agency is going to fill all their slots with GULC students.

Red Rocket

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2009, 10:39:50 PM »
I've looked at the Govt Honors Handbook in the past and it seemed that the average # of people hired for total applicants was about 3%.  FCC was one of the higher ones with some departments at 7% and some other agencies were less than 1%.  This was back when the economy was good.

Doesn't NYU have a much better LRAP than GULC anyway?

takumi

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2009, 02:16:47 PM »
Thanks to everyone for their input.  I guess I don't really have to worry about it unless I get into either Columbia or NYU and since I have yet to hear anything, I'm assuming my chances are not as good as I believed them to be. 

vansondon

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2009, 02:50:03 PM »
Man would I love to have this dilemma.  Georgetown with money or NYU/Columbia.  Oh the agony!!