Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Just took first practice test.... EEK!!!  (Read 2280 times)

lawschoolbound1

• View Profile
Just took first practice test.... EEK!!!
« on: July 25, 2009, 02:31:14 PM »
Hey all,

I just took my first full-length, timed practice diagnostic test today at the prep center where I'm taking my prep class for the LSAT.  I have never looked at anything related to the LSAT, and I went in very, very cold and just answered the questions and tried to figure them out, not having a clue what I was doing.

I am taking the prep class and also planning to study for 3 hours a day on the days I am not in class, in order to prepare for the September LSAT.  I got a 141 on the practice test (cringe).  I'm shooting for a 160+ on the actual LSAT, is that possible with this low of a score on my first diagnostic? Do any of you have advice on studying for the LSAT, in addition to me taking the LSAT prep class?  I'm starting to freak out that I'm not going to be able to score that well!!  Please help me!!!

Only constructive advice and criticism please!

jdubb990

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Just took first practice test.... EEK!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2009, 03:30:26 PM »
I got a 142 on mine.  Been studying intensely for about a month now, took a test yesterday and got a 157.  If you put in the time, you will reap the benefits.

lawschoolbound1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 04:36:15 PM »
That's wonderful to hear, and good for you!  What have you done to study?  If you are taking a class, are you doing anything outside of the class?  Approximately how many hours a day are you studying?  If you have any other advice, that would be great!

violaboy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009, 07:40:13 PM »
Don't worry.  I went up about 20 points from my first practice test.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 08:16:29 AM »
Lots of people get bad scores when they take it cold. Practice for a month or two and see where you end up.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

jdubb990

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2009, 12:18:45 PM »
Read through the logic games bible once, and now use it as a reference.  Reading through the logical reasoning bible currently.  I've been taking 2 or 3 timed practice tests a week, and going through the questions that I answered incorrectly, trying to figure out why I answered them incorrectly.  To me it seems just getting used to the time constraints, and seeing more and more lsat questions helps tremendously.  All in all I probably put in around 30 hours a week studying.  I'm shooting for high 160's low 170's by September though, so I still have a ways to go.

Good luck to you.

AtlasLSATMike

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2009, 02:15:10 PM »
you can do it! just try not to get overwhelmed -- don't think of the LSAT as one big confusing blob -- be specific about what you study, and master one concept at a time, and you can do it!

how's that for positive? ;)

seclit1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2009, 09:20:44 AM »
dont despair, i got a 154 on mine and im shooting for a 170+

these goals are very realistic if you are very disciplined and serious about this test.  you need to find your weaknesses and attack them dead on. this test does not deviate and prob never will so if you are persistent and work hard you are sure to increase your score.

i am signed up for testmasters and they do a very good job at breaking down the diag. test and categorizing every question that was on the test.  this is very good because this will allow you to learn more about urself than you could have if you were self studying. my course for TM just started and im looking forward to every single class and im just dying to crack this test wide open and im also very confident that the weaknesses i have can be fixed.

squireJons

• beware the law school scam
    • View Profile
    • lawschoolscam.blogspot.com
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2009, 05:44:52 PM »
do not go to law school unless you can get admitted to a top 20 law school or unless your dad/mom is a lawyer and will train you
Beware of the Law School Scam, kids!
see http://www.lawschoolscam.blogspot.com

!закон и право!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2009, 10:12:59 PM »
do not go to law school unless you can get admitted to a top 20 law school or unless your dad/mom is a lawyer and will train you

Flame.

To the OP:

I scored a 151 diagnostic and will be applying this cycle with a 173. Familiarize yourself with this test and you will invariably succeed.

Best of luck.