Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Penn 2L, taking questions . . .  (Read 1334 times)

Keres

• View Profile
Penn 2L, taking questions . . .
« on: July 25, 2009, 02:26:18 PM »
I'm a rising 2L at Penn.  Let me begin by saying that my experience at Penn has been excellent, and that I couldn't be happier with my choice to go there.  Penn is an incredible school, and I'd urge everyone to consider it. I've had a great school/life balance, played intramural sports, kept a social life, stayed in shape, got a great job this summer interning with a federal district judge, and made law review. I remember last year, when I used to spend a ton of time on this board.  I would have done anything for some good information about the schools I was considering. I'll answer anything you'd like to know.

Georgiana

• View Profile
Re: Penn 2L, taking questions . . .
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2009, 02:37:13 PM »
Congrats on LR!!

Also a rising 2L here... sadly not on LR   :'( 

Feel free to PM, I'll chime in if I have anything to add, don't want to hi-jack the thread  :D

violaboy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 07:37:35 PM »
How's the part of town where the law school is?

Keres

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 02:06:12 AM »
I think the biggest downside to Penn is its location.  Philly isn't exactly the greatest city on Earth.  With that in mind, it's not as bad as the areas surrounding other T14 schools.

The area around the school is better than people described it to me.  It's both safe and clean.  There are a number of decent places to eat before/during/after class, and there are police around late at night to keep the area quiet.  Because the law school is right next to the undergrad campus, the area is generally quiet but still within range of "life."  Also, bus routes and cabs come right up to the school, making transportation fairly convenient.  If you like coffee, there's a starbucks on both sides of the school, with a Dunkin Donuts a block away.  If you need a place to get away during the middle of the day, the undergrad campus is actually pretty nice to study at, since there are trees and benches. 

Let me know if I can give more detail in a particular area.

violaboy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 11:33:42 AM »
Thanks for the info.  I went to Philly last summer for a little bit, and it wasn't as bad as I had expected, but I wasn't able to make it over to the U Penn campus.  I was more around the touristy spots and The Curtis Institute of Music.  As far as summer internships, where do they place most people?  Also, one thing that drew me to U Penn was the opportunity to get a certificate (some sort of minor?) from the Wharton School.  I'm interested in doing corporate law.  Do people do that?  Is it worth the time to go outside of the law school classes?

MauveAvenger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2009, 02:21:18 PM »
I'm starting at UPenn this fall and have already been living in university city for a few weeks. I'm having trouble finding some under-21 friendly places to hang out though. New Deck and a couple others are nice, but they usually kick underages out by 9:00pm. Any suggestions for fun?

prospectivelaw27

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2009, 03:43:27 PM »
Hey UPenn, first of all starting law school and not 21 yet? Impressive. Anywho, I'm an undergrad at Penn and there's a great microbrewery on 50th and Baltimore that doesn't card called Dock Street. Another bar-esque place is around 43rd and Spruce called Local 44 which is pretty lax

alex06

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2009, 05:34:52 AM »
Hey Keres,
  I'm surprised more people haven't jumped on this thread!  Penn is probably one of my top 2-3 choices.  I'm interested in the certificate programs and the interdisciplinary stuff.  Do you know anyone who has gotten two certificates?  And/or studied abroad?  My undergrad career was all about stretching myself across a lot of fields (2 majors, a minor and a year studying abroad) and I'd really like to repeat a similar experience in law school.  Penn seems like the place where it would be easiest for me to do that. 
  Also, Penn is a very corporate-leaning school, based on what I've read/heard, but I was wondering if you could comment on what the PI environment is like?  I'm not necessarily completely opposed to doing corporate law for a year or two out of law school to pay off debts, but I'd really prefer to jump right into PI (given that I've spent 2-3 out of undergrad going the non-profit route, I'm pretty damn sure I want to stick to it in the long run). 
  Annnnd another question:  my numbers look pretty good for Penn, but nothing excellant...above 75 gpa, but mid-range LSAT.  Some schools, like NYU (based on word of mouth), apparently award some scholarships based on your interests or career prior to law school.  Are the scholarships at Penn purely a numbers game?  Or are there some scholarships that are specifically geared towards PI people, etc?
Thanks in advance!!

alex06

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2009, 05:37:30 AM »
Hey Keres,
  I'm surprised more people haven't jumped on this thread!  Penn is probably one of my top 2-3 choices.  I'm interested in the certificate programs and the interdisciplinary stuff.  Do you know anyone who has gotten two certificates?  And/or studied abroad?  My undergrad career was all about stretching myself across a lot of fields (2 majors, a minor and a year studying abroad) and I'd really like to repeat a similar experience in law school.  Penn seems like the place where it would be easiest for me to do that. 
  Also, Penn is a very corporate-leaning school, based on what I've read/heard, but I was wondering if you could comment on what the PI environment is like?  I'm not necessarily completely opposed to doing corporate law for a year or two out of law school to pay off debts, but I'd really prefer to jump right into PI (given that I've spent 2-3 out of undergrad going the non-profit route, I'm pretty damn sure I want to stick to it in the long run). 
  Annnnd another question:  my numbers look pretty good for Penn, but nothing excellant...above 75 gpa, but mid-range LSAT.  Some schools, like NYU (based on word of mouth), apparently award some scholarships based on your interests or career prior to law school.  Are the scholarships at Penn purely a numbers game?  Or are there some scholarships that are specifically geared towards PI people, etc?
Thanks in advance!!

Keres

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2009, 02:14:03 AM »
Hey all, sorry it took me so long to get back here.  It's been a long week...

It seems to me that Penn is pretty firm driven, but I think that is fueled more by the students than the faculty.  I have friends who want to go into PI, and the faculty definitely pushes that sort of work.  It just seems, however, that the student body is mostly interested in getting good firm jobs, especially in NY and CA.  That being said, a Penn degree will get you a job at either.

In terms of certificates, it is definitely do-able.  I actually applied for a dual degree and got accepted, but I chose ultimately not to go through with it.  It was relatively easy to do, so I'm guessing that the certificates are even easier.  The Wharton degree, especially, seems to be pretty popular.  I know a number of people who are strongly considering it.  I also took a class as a 1L taught by a Wharton professor.  Penn does a great job of bringing in overlapping perspectives, rather than purely teaching "black letter."  As far as whether it's worth it to do a certificate or take other classes, I suppose that's a personal decision.  I don't think employers are really going to care one way or another which classes you take, provided that you ultimately take the really important law ones like corps., tax, fed courts, etc.  But if taking those classes outside the school is your thing, it's easy to do and strongly encouraged by the faculty.

As far as scholarships go, I'm not too sure about that.  I applied ED, meaning I got basically nothing financially.  I do know there are special PI scholarships, and the rest seems to be purely LSAT driven.  I'm not sure about that though.

Keep the questions coming!