Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Need advise - Black's Law Dictionary: Digital or Paper?  (Read 3766 times)

Dr. Balsenschaft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Need advise - Black's Law Dictionary: Digital or Paper?
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2009, 04:36:35 PM »
Wikipedia also isn't a bad place to look for primary sources, although their citations are often dead links.

Georgiana

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2009, 04:53:30 PM »
It is emphatically not a waste of time.  The argument for each side is distilled to a t, and the justices point out the flaws in each.  It's really terrific.
But you can't listen to them during class... which is what I usually use Wiki for :) 

If I had time the night before to listen to the oral args, I probably would have read the case as well. 

you wnat to be a lawyer, don't use wiki, if you cited to wiki in your brief or to a judge they would through you in jail for stupidy, get out of the wiki habbit. bad, wiki, bad.
Of course I wouldn't use it for a citation, goodness! 

I'm saying that when you're in class and the case(s) of the day is a prominent one, it likely has a wiki article so you can review the facts/reasoning/dissent/implications rather quickly. 

Also, FWIW our research librarians always say to start with a google search if your topic is something you aren't familiar with.  It doesn't cost firms money to do a google search, it costs them a lot if you're doing random lexis/west searching to get background information that could have been obtained elsewhere :) 

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2009, 06:57:37 PM »
you wnat to be a lawyer, don't use wiki, if you cited to wiki in your brief or to a judge they would through you in jail for stupidy, get out of the wiki habbit. bad, wiki, bad.

For your records,

http://www.ca11.uscourts.gov/opinions/ops/200216886.pdf
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9A07E0DF143FF93AA15752C0A9619C8B63

That is a sad commentary on our socity, and for the love of god pin cite please I'm not reading that whole case to find wiki nuggets
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

Georgiana

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2009, 07:13:21 PM »

That is a sad commentary on our socity, and for the love of god pin cite please I'm not reading that whole case to find wiki nuggets

ctrl + F

Eugene Young

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2009, 07:17:32 PM »

For your records,

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9A07E0DF143FF93AA15752C0A9619C8B63

i read the opinion. it's actually pretty interesting, albeit i have somewhat of a vested interest since i live in the 11th circuit.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2009, 07:17:32 PM »

ctrl + F

too much work I can olny procrastante so much when avioding bar study
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

Dr. Balsenschaft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2009, 09:20:32 PM »

For your records,

What I find interesting is how people have a huge problem with wikipedia cites but really do not have any issue with cites to newspapers.  I was a reporter for a few years and some of the stuff I wrote was barely edited.  I was no Stephen Glass or anything, but I bet a lot of the stuff on wikipedia is more thoroughly fact-checked than most of the stuff that was published under my name.  I think it's fine to cite to wikipedia or newspapers on a collateral matter so long as whoever is reading realizes it for what it is. 

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2009, 10:20:48 PM »
Good luck Matthies!  That is why I am posting on here as well.  Stupid bar exam... 

Dr. Balsenschaft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2009, 10:47:40 PM »
Good luck Matthies!  That is why I am posting on here as well.  Stupid bar exam... 

Me three.  Good look to everyone else suffering through the drudgery!  We're almost there.  And by "there" I mean suffering through a month or two of terrible anxiety as we wait to find out we passed.  But don't worry, after we find out we passed, we'll find other things to obsess over and worry about.     

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2009, 05:00:44 PM »
I wont find out till mid to late November, although I get a feeling I will know the answer after tomorrow.  Dumb new york essay day.  Good luck to you as well!