Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Need advise - Black's Law Dictionary: Digital or Paper?  (Read 3728 times)

Georgiana

• View Profile
Re: Need advise - Black's Law Dictionary: Digital or Paper?
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2009, 04:32:59 PM »
I agree.  Google anything you dont know (or wikipedia, that got me through Con Law).

Such a true statement!  I love that the big cases are all on wiki, it's so helpful :)  Esp when my casebook was terrible at "excerpts."  I don't have time for a 20 page majority, a 15 page concurrence and two 10-20 page dissents.   

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2009, 11:02:03 PM »
Oyez.org is even better than wikipedia and google for con law, for what it's worth. 

Georgiana

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2009, 11:38:24 PM »
Oyez.org is even better than wikipedia and google for con law, for what it's worth. 

I was never a huge fan of Oyez... not that many details.  I just looked up Roe v. Wade and it has like 9 lines of info.  Wiki on the other hand has great background as well as the decision of the court with summaries of the sections plus the dissent and then goes on to give overviews of subsequent cases and the controversy. 

To each their own.

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2009, 01:06:39 PM »
I was never a huge fan of Oyez... not that many details.  I just looked up Roe v. Wade and it has like 9 lines of info.  Wiki on the other hand has great background as well as the decision of the court with summaries of the sections plus the dissent and then goes on to give overviews of subsequent cases and the controversy. 

To each their own.

Fair enough. 

Dr. Balsenschaft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2009, 01:24:48 PM »
Oyez and wikipedia are vastly different.  Listening to the oral arguments for any con law case is highly instructive (and not as time-wastey as it sounds).

It's a waste of time.  But it is interesting.  If you're only going to discuss one case in class (rare), maybe it's worth it just so you can listen to intelligent and knowledgeable people (presumably) discuss the case.  But it doesn't necessarily tell you much about what they based their decision on.  Neither does what they write in their opinion for that matter, but that's what we're suppose to rely on so you're better off just focusing on what they wrote. 

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2009, 02:24:47 PM »
It is emphatically not a waste of time.  The argument for each side is distilled to a t, and the justices point out the flaws in each.  It's really terrific.

law nerd
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

Georgiana

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2009, 02:31:28 PM »
It is emphatically not a waste of time.  The argument for each side is distilled to a t, and the justices point out the flaws in each.  It's really terrific.
But you can't listen to them during class... which is what I usually use Wiki for :) 

If I had time the night before to listen to the oral args, I probably would have read the case as well. 

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2009, 03:26:56 PM »
Listening to the oral arguments does absolutely nothing come exam day.  Complete waste of time. 

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2009, 03:32:43 PM »
But you can't listen to them during class... which is what I usually use Wiki for :) 

If I had time the night before to listen to the oral args, I probably would have read the case as well. 

you wnat to be a lawyer, don't use wiki, if you cited to wiki in your brief or to a judge they would through you in jail for stupidy, get out of the wiki habbit. bad, wiki, bad.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2009, 04:19:06 PM »
you wnat to be a lawyer, don't use wiki, if you cited to wiki in your brief or to a judge they would through you in jail for stupidy, get out of the wiki habbit. bad, wiki, bad.

For your records,

http://www.ca11.uscourts.gov/opinions/ops/200216886.pdf
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9A07E0DF143FF93AA15752C0A9619C8B63