Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Need advise - Black's Law Dictionary: Digital or Paper?  (Read 3718 times)

CareerChange

• View Profile
Need advise - Black's Law Dictionary: Digital or Paper?
« on: July 24, 2009, 01:30:48 PM »
Hello everybody! I am a soon-to-be 1L and am wondering if I should purchase the digital Black'd Dictionary + 3rd edition in Hardcover package or just the 9th edition in Hardcover. Both options cost about $90 on Amazon, was wondering if the digital version will be useful while preparing case briefs and outlines, or is it just better to purchase the old-fashioned hardcover book.

Thanks and I look forward to your thoughts. Good luck!

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Need advise - Black's Law Dictionary: Digital or Paper?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 01:35:48 PM »
You will have access to a free digital copy from West once you start school.  Don't buy one.

If you start school and find yourself using the West copy often, buy the pocket version.

Frogconcept

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 01:52:39 PM »
If you have an iphone, I'd recommend the Black's app.  It's $50, and you always have it handy.  That being said, don't lose your iphone; I've invested so much in the apps that were I to lose it, I'd almost have to buy another one...it's an amazing marketing strategy.

;;;;;

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 01:59:24 PM »
You will have access to a free digital copy from West once you start school.  Don't buy one.

If you start school and find yourself using the West copy often, buy the pocket version.

I agree.  I have a print one and never use it.  The only time it has come in handy is during law review write-on when you are not allowed to go on westlaw.  If you need it then, just check it out for a week from your library.  When you are writing a brief and using westlaw black's, it is nice to be able to copy and paste.
"Don't read what they write about you, just measure it in inches."  Andy Warhol

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 08:46:45 PM »

Botbot's correct.  Just wait until you get the free Westlaw version. 

jalex519

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2009, 01:03:54 PM »
I think the pocket version is very useful since you can carry it around easily and quickly reference it while reading cases. I used mine quite a bit during 1L. It's also only $30.

The hardcover version is too big IMO and like others have said, there is no need to pay for a digital version since you can get free access to one through Westlaw.

2L and counting...

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2009, 01:24:01 PM »
dont bother with either. 

I went through all of law school without ever using a black's law dictionary in any format.  If you dont understand a word, it probably isnt important (or at least not important enough to spend the time looking it up).

M_Cool

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2009, 03:21:56 PM »
Or you can just Google the word to see what it means..  the only reason to use Black's is if you are actually going to cite to an exact definition. 

Georgiana

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2009, 03:31:48 PM »
Or you can just Google the word to see what it means..  the only reason to use Black's is if you are actually going to cite to an exact definition. 

I agree... Google will solve everything :) 

And if you cannot find it on Google/wiki you can use the West version to look it up or just ask someone. 

The use of random Latin phrases has decreased significantly and I didn't think the vocab used during 1L was very difficult to master without a legal dictionary. 

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2009, 04:30:48 PM »
I agree.  Google anything you dont know (or wikipedia, that got me through Con Law).