Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Need advise - Black's Law Dictionary: Digital or Paper  (Read 2396 times)

CareerChange

• View Profile
Need advise - Black's Law Dictionary: Digital or Paper
« on: July 24, 2009, 01:29:53 PM »
Hello everybody! I am a soon-to-be 1L and am wondering if I should purchase the digital Black'd Dictionary + 3rd edition in Hardcover package or just the 9th edition in Hardcover. Both options cost about $90 on Amazon, was wondering if the digital version will be useful while preparing case briefs and outlines, or is it just better to purchase the old-fashioned hardcover book.

Thanks and I look forward to your thoughts. Good luck!

Talk Is Cheap

• Sr. Citizen
  • F*** the man, I'm the man.
    • View Profile
Re: Need advise - Black's Law Dictionary: Digital or Paper
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 04:02:48 PM »
You get access to Black's online via your student Westlaw subscription. You're already paying for it in your tuition, don't bother to buy another copy.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 08:23:37 AM »
You get access to Black's online via your student Westlaw subscription. You're already paying for it in your tuition, don't bother to buy another copy.

This is right. And inevitably, someone will give you a copy as a gift anyway.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 09:51:51 AM »
I've used my copy to prop onpen my office door for the past four years. That thing is heavy and the door is going nowhere
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 06:22:59 PM »
I do find Blacks makes a fine toilet read if all else fails. Pretty much taught me everything I know about defeasible estates.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

RobWreck

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2009, 10:24:39 PM »
The soft cover pocket version is sufficient and easier to flip through than searching a digital one. However, I wouldn't waste the money on the large hardcover one...
St. John's University School of Law '11
Part-time PM Division
Admitted in NY

AJaKe

• Sr. Citizen
  • No, a law student!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2009, 10:46:01 PM »
Get the Black's Law Dictionary app for your iPhone.

LSN
- 3.1 / 162

Accepted: UF, FSU, Rutgers-Camden(10k + T-Shirt!), Penn State, Temple, American, UPitt, Villanova
W/L: GMU, W&L, W&M
Ding: NONE!

jsb221

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2009, 11:25:53 AM »
Personally, I don't think you need to purchase a Black's Dictionary. You have access to it thru Westlaw, as everyone else has said. I purchased the pocket version and used it maybe twice, only because I wasn't at my laptop at the time and was too lazy to get up and do it. If you feel you must have a copy, I would suggest just getting the paperback pocket version instead of a hardback copy. This way, if you want to take it with you to class for some reason, you can throw it in your bag.

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2009, 12:06:39 PM »
Dont waste your money get it thru Westlaw/Lexis access.

I do have some advice for incoming law students, and maybe its too late for you already decided first years, but if you can afford it the summer before law school starts take a bar review course.  That's right kids--a bar review course!  The bar focuses largely on first year topics and the knowledge you will gain will be immeasurable. You will have advance knowledge of the subject matter; you will learn to answer questions, you will learn to write and you will benefit from the critiques. It will place you ahead of the pack from the start and kids that where you want to be. 

It will be hard and it will be costly, but it will be worth it.

Best wishes

RobWreck

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2009, 11:19:52 PM »
Dont waste your money get it thru Westlaw/Lexis access.

I do have some advice for incoming law students, and maybe its too late for you already decided first years, but if you can afford it the summer before law school starts take a bar review course.  That's right kids--a bar review course!  The bar focuses largely on first year topics and the knowledge you will gain will be immeasurable. You will have advance knowledge of the subject matter; you will learn to answer questions, you will learn to write and you will benefit from the critiques. It will place you ahead of the pack from the start and kids that where you want to be. 

It will be hard and it will be costly, but it will be worth it.

Best wishes

??????????

TINTCR -1.
St. John's University School of Law '11
Part-time PM Division
Admitted in NY