Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: mason or american?  (Read 1602 times)

thatkid000

• View Profile
    • Email
mason or american?
« on: July 24, 2009, 11:24:08 AM »
i am a bit torn about the two, and need to make a decision asap.
which school places better in the dc market, better prestige, most cost efficient, etc???
i sincerely thank you for your help.

raheeltransfers

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: mason or american?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 11:38:38 AM »
Tthis is a tough decision. I can udnerstand. First off, dont completely go off the rankings because they are too close to each other that it does not even matter. Second, pls do research. it will cost time but it will be worth it. you can devote all day do it and reach a more informed decision. this way you will feel better and confidence about it as well.

I would ask some of these questions:
1. which campus do you like better, where do you feel you will fit in and feel comfortable for the remaining 2 years of law school years?
2. does GMU give you in-state tuition? whats the cost difference, will it be worth it in the long run?
4. what law you want to do? big law firm? or public interest? judicial clerkship? or spmoething specific like corporate litigation, IP, human rights etc? If so, call each school's career office and ask them how many students they placed in those types of positions.
5. What if any clinics, study abroad, journals, specific curriculum (such as certificate in labor law or national security etc..) would interest you? which school is better at the things that you prefer to have?
These questions should be a starting point may be but not a complete list of things. Grade each school on each question on a scale of 1 to 5. then add the scores. the higher one will win :) hope this helps.

big - fat - box

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 11:40:38 AM »
Do you have in-state at Mason? Any way to get in-state for year 2 and 3? I would contact fin aid/admissions and speak with them about this.

Placement is going to be roughly the same. Chances of landing at a big bucks job out of either are very slim. American has many more alumni in the area b/c it's been around a lot longer. Mason has some connections in political conservative organizations and such. DC job market is among the toughest in the country and neither school is a "major player" in DC.

thatkid000

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 11:55:58 AM »
No in-state (I tried).
I've been wrestling with this decision for a week now, and unfortunately I keep flip flopping.
I visited both recently, and wasn't sold on either.
American is roughly 10k more/year and in the corner of DC, but great clinics and externships.
While Mason is across the bridge,right on the metro and cheaper.
The fact that American does have alot of alums is attractive, especially because I lean left.
Further, at American I can write on journal, while at Mason that option is gone.
The pressure is on, because one of the schools set a decision deadline for today.

big - fat - box

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 12:19:01 PM »
Where do you go now? Honestly your best option might be to stay where you are at and coax some scholarship money out of your current school? Do you have a scholarship there?

thatkid000

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2009, 12:34:30 PM »
state school in 70s. no scholie but in-state tuition.
how would you recommend working them over?

big - fat - box

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2009, 01:18:44 PM »
Talk to fin aid or the dean. Tell them you are thinking of transferring to a school ranked a lot higher, but money is an issue. See if they come up with anything for you.

Even if they don't, I'd probably stay where you are. In-state means you'd probably have to pay double or more to go to GMU or AMU and those two schools are very unlikely to offer substantially better job prospects than your state school in the 70s.

state school in 70s. no scholie but in-state tuition.
how would you recommend working them over?

gmasonlaw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2009, 12:20:42 PM »
Sadly, I would have to recommend AU over GMU, even though I am a JD student at GMU.  I really don't want to talk badly about my school, so I'm not going to go into detail.  But for various reasons, GMU has dramatically fallen in the USNWR rankings and AU continues to rise.  FYI, USNWR ranks accredited part-time programs in this order: (1) GULC, (2) GW, (4) AU, (5) GMU.

Red Rocket

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2009, 10:45:35 PM »
if your state school is in a market you are willing to stay in then maybe you should keep the cheaper tuition.  AU is not going to give you a scholarship and you won't get VA residency for GMU.

vansondon

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2009, 02:50:02 AM »
hmmmm... Even without in-state tuition, GMU is still much cheaper (by virtue of it being a state school). According to US News, GMU's salary data is much higher than AU (I don't know how you might view this).  However, GMU is a bit of a conservative thinktank and very libertarian, while AU is very liberal and more social-justice oriented. 

US News Private Sector Salary Data:
GMU - $70,000 (25th percentile); $110,000 (50th percentile); $147,500 (75th percentile); $55,706 (public interest)

AU - $60,000 (25th percentile): $90,000 (50th percentile); $145,000 (75th percentile); $53,000 (public interest)