Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Admin or Securities Regulation?  (Read 413 times)

wrhssaxensemble

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Admin or Securities Regulation?
« on: July 23, 2009, 03:49:22 PM »
So I am a JD-MBA going into my third year (of 3 1/2) and am currently planning out the rest of my schedule. With the economy the way it is, I am trying to keep my scope as wide as possible- I am looking at possibly going into commercial (generally), bankruptcy (specifically), corporate, estate and financial planning, or tax law (if I get an LLM at some point) but would like to not completely foreclose on the possibility of practicing any other type of law.

Anyways, I am trying to decide whether to take securities regulation (with an extremely hard to understand and tough grading professor) or administrative law (tough grading professor but have never had him before and have heard he is much easier to understand). Which should I take? while the former is more related to my fields of interest the latter is a "recommended core course" at my school and on the CT bar (although I plan to take the MA bar instead).

Thanks

big - fat - box

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Admin or Securities Regulation?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 04:00:42 PM »
Unless you are crazy about these subjects, I'd probably avoid either.

Anyway, taking one class or not taking one class isn't likely to affect your career prospects as much as you think.

I'd probably take the class you think you'll be more interested in and think you can earn a better grade in.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
Re: Admin or Securities Regulation?
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 05:53:47 PM »
Unless you are crazy about these subjects, I'd probably avoid either.

Anyway, taking one class or not taking one class isn't likely to affect your career prospects as much as you think.

I'd probably take the class you think you'll be more interested in and think you can earn a better grade in.

Admin is boring as hell, I don't even know WTF that other class is, but sounds boring too. My advice, last year pad your GPA with as many seminar and easy A classes as you can get. Espiclly last semster, I watch alot of my freind implode this last semster of law school becuase they took to many hard/complex subjects and did not have the stamina to keep up with them/ At least make sure your last semster is easy would what I would shoot for with planing the next three semsters
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.