Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Temple Law School?  (Read 5006 times)

Pesach

• View Profile
Temple Law School?
« on: July 22, 2009, 10:43:43 PM »
3.5 LSAC GPA, LSAT in September

I'm really interested in the Temple Law School, but I was wondering what others thought, maybe some of you have some insight into their program.

I'm interested because I'm a Temple undergrad, my friends are here, family's close in Maryland, TU bar passage rate and employment rate seem higher than average, their international law program (what i'm currently interested in) is supposed to be very strong (and getting stronger), I've met a couple of the professors and liked them as well as have had a few short convos with the law students who seem to enjoy their studies in the law school as well as enjoy their peers.

likewise

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Temple Law School?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 11:30:24 PM »
Temple: B.A. 02; J.D. 09 here.

Law School is generally a rough experience, but the professors and my fellow students at Temple made it worthwhile. If you're instate and get in, it should be your #1 choice, unless you get into a much better school (T20).

The professors in LRW, Intl Law, Health Law, and Trial Ad are well known and respected at Temple, but we have some real gems in other areas, especially Little (Fed Cts, Conflicts), Hoffman (Corps, Law and Econ), Mikochik (1st Amend), and Angel (Employment, Labor).

The experience was much better than I think I'd have had at another school -- cheaper, bright folks, lots more interest in public interest work (Maureen Olives heads), and tons of effort to get folks jobs.

Temple does make a solid effort to prep folks for the bar (offering free Saturday prep from BarBri in one's last semester). Look for a course from Dale Larrimore in PA CivPro (take in 3L); Dale is successful PI atty in Philly and current or former President of PA BarBri. That guy has EXCELLENT insight into how to prepare for the bar.

Pesach

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 05:20:00 PM »
Thanks for the reply, its nice to hear from a current student.

Thanks for the tips on the professors. I'm actually out of state, but the cost of Temple for out of state doesnt seem so far out of line with other schools in this area for me. I could go to a good law school instate, but being a solid drive from home is important to me.

I'm really excited about my chances of getting in to Temple, but I have a question that you may or may not be able to help with. I'm in Alpha Epsilon Pi at Temple (the fraternity at Norris & Broad) and it seems Temple is not a big fan of ours (they really wanted to buy this property but we got it first), do you think something like that would hurt me at all? I'm really proud of the leadership, event planning and other work I've done in this fraternity and am proud to have it listed in my resume and would hate to think I should consider removing it.

Thanks!

big - fat - box

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 09:17:22 PM »
Not to knock Temple, but it really isn't a good deal unless you have in-state.

I'd look hard at your in-state school instead.

It really isn't worth it to take on $150-180K in debt outside a dozen or so top law schools.

likewise

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2009, 09:14:15 PM »
Not to knock Temple, but it really isn't a good deal unless you have in-state.

I'd look hard at your in-state school instead.

It really isn't worth it to take on $150-180K in debt outside a dozen or so top law schools.

I agree to some extent. Sound like the OP might be domiciled in MD. If she can get into UMD, she should go over Temple [or any other full price option]. I can't imagine, though, being any where near 150K in debt coming out of Temple, even if one were out-of-state.

Anyhoo, if one's best option looks like it'll cost over 100K, she still might want to take it, if she plans a career in the public interest. The Act [that went into effect this month] reduces payments significantly, softening the blow for those with large amounts of debt.

Pesach

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2009, 01:57:42 AM »
[Just to kind of get it out of the way: "She" is actually a He  :-[. Pesach is a hebrew name so I forgive people for not nailing that one, haha.]

As far as cost, it is a good point that has been raised. However the only comparable school in Maryland is the University of Maryland Law School which is $22,000 a year for in-state (plus living). The University of Baltimore is much cheaper, but doesn't compare as its T4 (temple and umd are both T2, I believe). Temple for out of state is 28,000. So for me, the 24K extra stretched over 3 years, its acceptable.

Additionally my parents may be relocating to New Jersey for my fathers job so in-state in Maryland my not apply for me in 3 months. It is possible that I could apply for residency in PA as I've been up here for 3 years, paying bills, paying rent. I have been up here for school, but after the fall semester I graduate and will stay up here for nearly 9 months just working. It's just a thought, not sure exactly how realistic.

But eitehr way, I'm not loaded with cash, however its not such a drastic difference in prices that I wouldn't consider Temple since everyone I know (sans kin) is in this area and I would like to practice in Philadelphia after school as well.

My understanding is that while Temple is not a big name nationally, regionally it's well regarded and quite a large of those practicing in Philadelphia are Temple Law grads. Is this way off?

likewise

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2009, 08:27:30 AM »
Temple has a great rep locally, especially in Philly itself. Your parents move to NJ is the only thing that might make PA domicile possible [cause then are you really still domiciled in MD?], otherwise you need a showing of intent to remain (like the purchase of a home instate, a spouse's obtaining employment instate]. The move might also allow a claiming of NJ residency, which is good, because both Rutger's campuses are good regional schools.

Your decision, though, will be affected by your LSAT score. Something in the mid-160s will get you tons of money at one or more of these regional schools (T40-T80). And, one of those schools will likely be a better choice than scrambling for a spot a top school, because then you'll likely have to pay full price. If you score in the high 150s or low 160s, then your best bet may be a public school where you can get instate tuition. If you rock the test, you'll have your pick, but I'd probably choose scholarship money over prestige even then.

BikePilot

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - joshthebikepilot
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2009, 08:05:27 PM »
Temple has one of the country's top scholars in international/trade/economic law - Jeffery Dunoff. He visited at HLS last year and I took two courses from him. He's really an exceptional teacher as well as an exceptional scholar.
HLS 2010

haulin_oats

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2009, 04:54:29 PM »
Temple does offer a fair amount of scholarship $ to out of state students and these generally make the tuition rate lower than the rate for in-state students. Most of these scholarships are contingent on finishing in the top 50% and there's no guarantee of that happening.

My scholarship is $20,000/year based on a 165 LSAT and something like a 3.5GPA. The original scholarship offer was $12,000/year, but I used offers from other schools to negotiate and they offered an extra $5,000.

Just something you might want to keep in mind.