Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Are letters from politicos bad?  (Read 1338 times)

RRE

• View Profile
Are letters from politicos bad?
« on: July 22, 2009, 10:17:35 PM »
I am in the process of gathering letters of recommendation after having been out of school for a couple of years, and I have read that it is unwise to seek letters of recommendation from politicians because it could raise ethical questions.  A couple of years ago I interned at a non-profit, and I would like to ask my supervisor for a letter. Since my internship, my former supervisor has left and is now a staffer for a US congressman (not in a district even close to mine or to any school I plan on applying to.)  Is it still wise to ask him since he is now afiliated with a politician?

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Are letters from politicos bad?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 12:02:22 AM »
Why would that be unethical?
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

Remarq

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 09:34:16 PM »
I had a Congressman write one of mine, and I know of several other people who did too. There is nothing unethical or wrong with it whatsoever. What you need to think about is whether the Congressman will be familiar enough with you and your work to write a good letter for you. I don't think letters from non-elite level politicians are uncommon in the law school game.

violaboy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 09:50:56 PM »
I had a Congressman write one of mine, and I know of several other people who did too. There is nothing unethical or wrong with it whatsoever. What you need to think about is whether the Congressman will be familiar enough with you and your work to write a good letter for you. I don't think letters from non-elite level politicians are uncommon in the law school game.

Agreed.

lawlawlaw77

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 03:35:10 AM »
Nothing unethical. (unless you trade it for sex or money or something)
j/k

Its good input what was said about them knowing you.  I think too many kids go out there and get letters from the coolest person they can find.  Really, I think admissions boards are very unimpressed by politicians, judges, and movie star letters.

Unless he is the President of the United States or you have worked with him on a daily basis... I personally would not use one.  But that's just me.