Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Transfer student's resume  (Read 6252 times)

rene_descartes

• View Profile
    • Email
Transfer student's resume
« on: July 22, 2009, 05:20:50 PM »
how would a transfer student explain to employers that they've transferred on the resume?
Do you list both schools? Because it seems odd that you list your first year GPA next to the name of your new law school (obvivously you have not earned those grades there)
Can somebody please explain how I can re write my resume? Many things have changed since I learned about my interview, which will take place next week. Thanks

Chronic Procrastinator

• View Profile
Re: Transfer student's resume
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 05:25:59 PM »
I'd say list both schools, with dates of attendance.  So maybe something like this:

Law School A, August 2008-May 2009
Law School B, Present
J.D. Candidate, May 2011

Also, I'm not sure about listing your GPA.  If they're going to ask for a transcript anyway, it might be redundant?  (I don't know about this so don't weight it too much.)

Aluhks

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 05:33:47 PM »
how would a transfer student explain to employers that they've transferred on the resume?
Do you list both schools? Because it seems odd that you list your first year GPA next to the name of your new law school (obvivously you have not earned those grades there)
Can somebody please explain how I can re write my resume? Many things have changed since I learned about my interview, which will take place next week. Thanks

Mine looks like this:

Current Law School, Candidate for J.D., May 2011

Old Law Schoo, Dates attended
GPA
Honors
Activities

Undergrad info.

It would list GPA/honors/activities for the new school, but I have not started there yet. I decided to list those separately for each school b/c at my old one I had some school-specific honors. I like reverse chronological like this b/c it puts my current school first and mirrors the reverse chronological order for my work experience.

Hdot

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 06:05:53 PM »
Mine is setup exactly like Aluhks.  If it means anything, the CSO at my old school distributed information on resumes and cover letters during our first semester and there was a sample transfer resume that looked exactly like that.

big - fat - box

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 06:14:02 PM »
This is way to do it, usually. I would definitely list the gpa/rank you had at your old school under the old school heading. If you managed to transfer up, you probably had good grades/rank and there's no sense in hiding it. Definitely ask career services at the new school for a sample transfer resume if this is giving you trouble.

Mine looks like this:

Current Law School, Candidate for J.D., May 2011

Old Law Schoo, Dates attended
GPA
Honors
Activities

Undergrad info.

transferjunkie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 07:54:59 PM »
Set it up like Aluhks said. Chronological order, so new school first. GPA is a matter of choice, but my new school (Chicago) doesnt list one, but says transfers can for this fall if they want.

oscar1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 05:35:08 PM »
I am transferring to Chicago as well and they basically said that I need not put a GPA on my resume, but to have a concise statement of how my former school ranked students because we will be asked.