Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Any tips for Class of 2016?  (Read 3697 times)

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Any tips for Class of 2016?
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2009, 05:18:06 PM »
You're right I shouldn't have used those words but the longer you stay in school, the better. Having an education is important and there are people who go to law school who have no intentions of working in the legal field after they graduate and with the way the job market is heading many people will probably continue to attend higher education programs like law, pharmacy, etc. Having a law degree could is valuable to other types of employers too, not just legal fields.  

I disagree with that and, in fact, having a law degree could discourage people in other fields from hiring you because they think that 1) you're uncommitted to their field, 2) there's something wrong with you since you couldn't hack it in the law, and 3) you'll jump ship if you find a more lucrative legal job.
Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French

Pardon Johnny Cash.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2009, 05:18:44 PM »

If you do this, you'll be fine.  

See you in three years.

Makes sense that a gunner like this would go to Cornell....  ;)

Chronic Procrastinator

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2009, 05:22:50 PM »
As a former Political Science major, I'd say that you should study Economics and Philosophy.

salc90

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2009, 05:39:04 PM »
As a former Political Science major, I'd say that you should study Economics and Philosophy.
I chose to study Political Science because I look at the course catalog and those are the courses that interest me. Even, if by the end I choose to go to medical school, I would never change my major. I would just take the medical prereqs and would finish up the Poly Sci major because those are the courses that interest me.

Chronic Procrastinator

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2009, 05:40:30 PM »
I never said you should change your major.  I just said that you should study Economics and Philosophy.

How you choose to do so is up to you.

Trust me, they're useful for law.

salc90

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2009, 05:42:32 PM »
You're right I shouldn't have used those words but the longer you stay in school, the better. Having an education is important and there are people who go to law school who have no intentions of working in the legal field after they graduate and with the way the job market is heading many people will probably continue to attend higher education programs like law, pharmacy, etc. Having a law degree could is valuable to other types of employers too, not just legal fields.  

I disagree with that and, in fact, having a law degree could discourage people in other fields from hiring you because they think that 1) you're uncommitted to their field, 2) there's something wrong with you since you couldn't hack it in the law, and 3) you'll jump ship if you find a more lucrative legal job.

Maybe. I know of some people with law degrees who went into business and have been successful. Business consultants, etc. I also know of journalists who hold law degrees. I guess it depends on what field, etc.

salc90

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2009, 05:44:00 PM »
I never said you should change your major.  I just said that you should study Economics and Philosophy.

How you choose to do so is up to you.

Trust me, they're useful for law.

Oh, sorry I misunderstood you. Yeah, I plan on taking courses in Philosophy and Economics.

violaboy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2009, 05:45:03 PM »
Join clubs you like, take classes you like, and make sure that at least two professors like you enough to write a letter of recommendation.  Enjoy school.  It's a rocking time!

violaboy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2009, 05:45:51 PM »
And agreed.  Philosophy and economics are great.

Pop Up Video

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2009, 06:13:31 PM »
Buy some rubbers and start looking around for a fake ID?