Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Law school and pregnant?  (Read 2363 times)

madelinelaw

• View Profile
Law school and pregnant?
« on: July 22, 2009, 01:54:18 PM »
I'm planning on going to law school this fall and have a child already, under 2 years old.  I want to have another baby, close enough in age for the two to play and grow up together.  But another reason why I want to have a baby soon is because I'm already 34 and I know my clock is ticking.  However, I truly want to go to law school and do well.  So, my question is, has anyone had a baby during law school and have any advice?  Any advice would be helpful.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Law school and pregnant?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 05:23:07 PM »
This would be a very, very poor decision. You'll already be busy enough that you'll feel like you're neglecting your current kid by mid-semester. Being preggers on top of that would probably be a nightmare.

Not saying it's impossible, but you should probably pick one or the other. Most of the people that I've known that have had problems in law school were mainly having issues because they were splitting their time between their family and law school, and these are people with older kids that can mainly take care of themselves.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

Chronic Procrastinator

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 05:27:07 PM »
I know people who have had children during law school and have managed okay.  But at the very least, I would recommend against having the child during 1L year.

madelinelaw

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 07:44:36 PM »
Thank you all for your advice. :)

big - fat - box

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2009, 12:45:42 AM »
Can your law school give you a deferral of admission? I.e., hold your spot for the following year's entering class? Might be worth looking into.

madelinelaw

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2009, 12:55:42 PM »
I have a feeling that wanting to have a baby and asking the law school to wait for me for 1 year wouldn't be that tempting for the law school. 

Also, I just don't know how law school will be.  I hear about how stressful law school is, especially the first year.  I have a family and am unsure how law school will affect my family life.  Will I have time for them?  Will I do well in school? 

dischord

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2009, 01:54:06 PM »
I know someone who, no joke, already had an infant when she went into 1L year and then had another baby at the beginning of her 3L year.  Ended up top 10% and on law review.  She told me that having the kids actually made her a better time manager than most of her classmates.

This person is VERY capable, though, so I could see this not working for most people.
At least I can f-ing think.

'blueskies

• LSD Obsessed
  • your changing skyline is twisting me up inside
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2009, 05:31:20 PM »
I have a feeling that wanting to have a baby and asking the law school to wait for me for 1 year wouldn't be that tempting for the law school. 

It wouldn't hurt to ask though, the worse they could do is say no.
awkward follows you like a beer chasing a shot of tequila.

big - fat - box

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2009, 05:54:37 PM »
Law schools grant 1 year deferrals all the time. Policy varies from school to school. Some schools will even grant a 2 year deferral.

If you are worried about all the schoolwork and how it will impact your family, I suggest you talk to several current part-time law students that have families. Law school is a huge time commitment, esp. if you have a family. Most of the non-trads with families that I know had to sacrifice a lot of family time.

madelinelaw

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2009, 12:13:12 PM »
Thank you for all the positive, frank replies.  I will look into deferrals for sure. 

One other question, if for some reason the school doesn't grant the deferral, and I have to reapply the next year, does that hurt my chances of getting in again?  Should I retake the LSAT?  I'm assuming I would need to provide all new personal statements and such?