Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: URM Black Male 3.4GPA Chances  (Read 1047 times)

groundkontrol

• View Profile
URM Black Male 3.4GPA Chances
« on: July 22, 2009, 10:28:42 AM »
I'm a black male URM with a 3.4 at Cornell, great LORs, and a ton of extracurriculars. I'm taking the LSATS in September. What LSAT would I need to have a chance at these schools?

Yale/Harvard-

Columbia-

UPenn (My top choice)-

NYU-

Cornell-

Georgetown-

Thanks.

big - fat - box

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: URM Black Male 3.4GPA Chances
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 10:51:58 AM »
lawschoolnumbers.com

No reason not to aim for the highest LSAT possible.

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 01:23:42 PM »
You're likely out at Yale, no matter your LSAT score. A black male for this cycle was rejected with a 3.44 and a 177.

As for the others, I think if you scored somewhere around 163 and up, you'd be in -- and the higher the score, the higher up the rankings you'd be more reasonably confident to apply.

To your application list, why not Michigan?
Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French

groundkontrol

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 03:10:06 PM »
Michigan is defintely on my list  ;D but the ones listed above are my top choices.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 03:26:34 PM »
lawschoolnumbers.com

No reason not to aim for the highest LSAT possible.

LSN is a great resource but its utility falls off for URMs because a lot of URMs are afraid to post their numbers (for fear of harassment or identification) and because there are a lot of anti-AA troll accounts that

There is a great thread on BLSD where students and grads who have been through the admissions process offer advice to black and other URM applicants here: http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,26160.0.html

OP, I recommend that you re-post your question in that thread.  There are a lot of old-timers there who won't see your question unless it shows up in their "unread posts."  Sometimes they'll be sticklers about not giving you odds until you have an LSAT score, but give it a shot. 

For what it's worth, I agree with Belle Woods: Yale is probably out of the question because it has the option of being just that picky.  Get 168+ and I bet you're in most other places; 165+ and you can probably count on most places except the top 3, etc.
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.