Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: MEE Scoring  (Read 4013 times)

BrandonTexas

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
MEE Scoring
« on: July 21, 2009, 07:27:56 PM »
Can anyone here give me some insight on MEE and MPT scoring in most states.  In my state, 276 is the score needed to pass the bar, but I can't find information on scoring essays.  What is the maximum possible score for each essay and MPT?  What are realistic average scores?

The Barbri answer are ridiculous, but what level of knowledge is necessary for the non-MBE subject MEE's?

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
Re: MEE Scoring
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 07:44:20 PM »
In my state they use the MEE questions, but the state makes their own scoring sheet. So there is no way to get an average score per essay. Itís also our first time doing the MEE so who knows what will happen. We have the same score though 276. I was told that MPTs count for 2.5 essays. So whatever an essay is worth the MPT is like doing 2 and a half ones, so they said do the MPTs first so if you run out of time itís on the last essay. And I agree, the barbari answers are insane, and bunch of stuff they never covered in our class and like 2 pages long. But at the front of the book it says ďthese answers were  not written under time or length constraints. ď so donít think you need to be that detailed.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

philibusters

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: MEE Scoring
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 11:13:46 PM »
If 276 is the magic number then it probably means you are in a state where the MBE counts for 50% of total score.  That means you need to average a 138 on the two sections to pass.  You could go below 138 on one section say 133 and get 144 on the other and pass with a whole 1 pt to spare but you have to average 138.  The people who did the MBE will scale the score for the bar, its scaled on a national level.  That can be good or bad, the larger the population of the field the data is coming from the less difference there will be year to year in average scores so if you have a smarter than normal class in a state one year it won't hurt them.

Most states also scale their essays part using the MBE.  For example they take raw essay score, standard deviation of essay score, the states testakers average MBE score, and standard deviation and multiple them.  Else standardizing the essay scores would be too hard.  Roughly this means that the MBE scores and Essay scores are lined up for example the 110 out 1000 MBE score might be 160 and the 110 out 1000 essay score in the state woud also be around 160 and right down the line.  Therefore the scaling of the MBE score is not only important for the MBE it pretty much determines the essay scales in most states.
2008 graduate of William and Mary Law School