Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 2009 Marine Corps JAG Selection  (Read 23202 times)

Austinb86

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 2009 Marine Corps JAG Selection
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2009, 04:41:36 PM »
I definately understand. It's a valid concern.

hawkpilot

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2009, 09:40:37 AM »
A couple of things worth noting.  While I am not a JAG, I am a former Army Company Commander and worked with the JAG office all of the time.

1) If you are not competitive for some of the BigLaw salaries, the JAG may offer more money than other jobs.
    a) you get a tax free housing salary based on where you live.  As a married Captain in Virginia, my last duty station, the housing allowance was $1887 for 2009.  That's over $22,000 annual, tax free.

2) You get a ton of experience.  The JAGs I worked with, were trying cases in court rooms, and after 3 years will have a ton of experience other laterals may not have.  Not to mention, the military thing looks great on the resume.

3) You experience a lot of different aspects of the law.  If you are not sure what you want to do for your career, this may help as well.  I sent soldiers to JAG for issues raning from criminal, family, tenant, contract, etc.

Obviously, there are cons
1) For some people this is tough, but you need to uphold yourself to high standard (good fitness, clean cut, no drugs, no DWI, etc.)
2) Deployments - if you are married, they can wear you down.  If you are single and don't have to deal with the family aspect, not as much.  Either way, deploying is one of the most rewarding experiences of my life.  And again, looks good on the resume.
3) Pay is not as good as BigLaw, but the hours aren't as long, unless you are deployed.

Hope this helps with anyone considering JAG.  If I had to choose, I'd say go Air Force.  They seem to live the most comfortable lifestyle.

Austinb86

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2009, 07:45:21 PM »
Thanks a lot. Another question. Do you know how much exposure to combat JA's get? I am not worried about it....but I need full disclosure with the wife. :)

ender01

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2009, 02:00:56 PM »
Thanks a lot. Another question. Do you know how much exposure to combat JA's get? I am not worried about it....but I need full disclosure with the wife. :)

That depends on your branch of service.  In the Navy (I am a current JAG intern), JAGs have been sent to Afghan/Iraq/Africa in support of OIF, OEF, and our mission in the horn of Africa, but thus far DON has been able to rely upon volunteers exclusively.  When you are in theater, Navy JAGS are certainly not running around on patrols, but given the nature of modern combat, if you are in theater, there is some danger from mortars, IEDs, ect.  The deployments are roughly six months (plus training).

The Army is a bit different; their JAGS are being sent to theater whether they like it or  not, deployments are also a year.  In part because of the OPTEMPO the Army has had to maintain because of our commitments in the Gulf and AF/PAK, they have apparently been hemmoraging junior JAGS are and are now offering loan repayment to incoming JAGS worth 65,000 for a four year commitment.

The Marines are a different animal entirely.  Unlike the Navy, where you are a true staff officer (like the Chaplains and Doctors) in the Marines you are a line officer.  You go through the same training as pilots and infantrymen at OCS, and when you compete for promotion and billets you are competing against all of the other Marine officers.  Also, it is important to know that you are not guaranteed legal billets in the Marine Corps.  If you join the Marines and spend a career (or much time at all) in the Corps, you will spend time in non-legal jobs, heading a rifle company or any of the other countless officer billets in the Corps.

Marines are Marines first, and then lawyers.  The Navy, at least (the branch I know the most about), acknowledges that you are an attorney AND and officer in the Navy.  There are huge cultural differences that I don't think can be overstated between the services.   

waseem

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2010, 07:05:54 PM »
I'm a 2L in the top 15% of my class, can easily pass the physical requirements and is only interested in joining the Marines. My issues are receiving a written commitment from them that my job function would be the practice of law. Is having J.A.G on my m.o.s a legally binding commitment? The recruiter in my area doesn't seem certain and dances around the question. My second issue is being stationed. I'll be getting married soon and want to be stationed in Cincinnati, Ohio where we bought a new house. Do the Marines have a loan program that repays law school loans?

petermharrington

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2010, 08:21:07 PM »

Marine JAGs are real Soldiers. They're not just staff Officer POTGs who have never been exposed to combat. I have a lot of respect for Marine JAGs as a former Army Infantryman.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2010, 08:34:25 PM »
To Waseem I just had an interview with Army JAG a week ago and they said they were the only branch that paid loans back. So if that is your main concern I would go that route.  However,  If you just bought a house and things you probably won't get stationed in Cincinnati and you could have some long term overseas duties. The guy that interviewed me was 15 months in Afghanistan as J.A.G.  it doesn't sound like the best situation to be in if you have a family. 

TheStipulation

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2010, 08:51:06 PM »
To Waseem I just had an interview with Army JAG a week ago and they said they were the only branch that paid loans back. So if that is your main concern I would go that route.  However,  If you just bought a house and things you probably won't get stationed in Cincinnati and you could have some long term overseas duties. The guy that interviewed me was 15 months in Afghanistan as J.A.G.  it doesn't sound like the best situation to be in if you have a family. 

I recently interviewed with Army JAG as well, and my FSO mentioned the same as above.  I must say though- in doing additional research- I think the 'up to $65,000' might be a tad misleading.  Both in terms of what is repaid, AND how that may affect those wanting to do the 'income based' and/or 'income contingent' repayment plans that are a part of College Cost Reduction and Access Act. 

The authority for the program is found in 10 USC 2171

http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/10/usc_sec_10_00002171----000-.html

waseem

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2010, 10:16:30 PM »
Thanks for the information. I don't have a problem being deployed for (x) amount of months. I just want to be stationed in Cincinnati, Ohio when I return home. I've also considered staying in a reserved capacity after my active. All of it depends on if I can be stationed in Cincinnati.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2010, 10:59:06 PM »
Another piece of info the interviewer told me is that if you go in a reserve capacity you can be called up and stationed away. However, if you are in private practice they won't ship you off for the most part. However, if you work for a government agency it is likely you will be shipped off. I don't know what your career plans are, but it sounds like if you are seeking government employment and doing any J.A.G. reserve there is a high probability of being shipped off.