Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: New Ethinicity categories on LSAC  (Read 1627 times)

iahurricane

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
New Ethinicity categories on LSAC
« on: July 21, 2009, 08:28:00 AM »
Hey, I'm sure most of you got the email from LSAC explaining the changes with the ethnicity portion. I was just wondering, since they break up "asian" to many subcategories, would I now be considered a URM if i picked a southeast asian country as opposed to Chinese or Korean?

big - fat - box

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: New Ethinicity categories on LSAC
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 01:54:18 PM »
Those categories are probably for LSAC data collections services more than anything else. Whether an individual school wants to give you an admissions boost b/c you are part of a new LSAC created ethnicity category is up to the individual school. From what I'm seen, Asians get no boost at all in admissions. The exception is when an Asian is applying to a school that very, very few Asians apply to. I'll give you a hint: none of these are top schools or schools located on the coasts.

If you really feel you deserve some sort of special consideration compared to other Asians applying to law school, you can always supplement your application with a "diversity statement" if the school allows it.

An aside: even though you will likely receive no admissions boost for being Asian, you will still be counted as a minority when the school publishes a pie chart or statistics explaining what percentage of minorities attend/were admitted to that school.

violaboy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: New Ethinicity categories on LSAC
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 12:42:51 PM »
We Asians probably are at a disadvantage. All of the other ones are smarter than me!!