Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: USF or USD????  (Read 4125 times)

lawstudentfall09

• View Profile
USF or USD????
« on: July 20, 2009, 04:53:58 AM »
I've been accepted to both USD and USF and need to decide where I'm headed VERY soon.  I don't plan on doing pub interest law but definitely lean to the left.  That being said, I like that USD is the strongest school in its region while USF is surrounded by some big names.  Any thoughts on where I should go or is it basically a matter of where I want to live?

Thanks!

haventaclue

• View Profile
Re: USF or USD????
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 07:00:03 AM »
well, if you lean to the left I would go with USF. USD is a very conservative school and you may feel out of place. You also need to consider the fact that SD is a relatively small market compared to SF. Also, with UCLA, USC, Pepperdine, Loyola,Southwestern, and Chapman not to far north of SD leaves plenty of competition for jobs in the region. Just because USD is the biggest fish in SD, its not dominate over UCLA, USC, Pepperdine and, to a lesser extent, Loyola. Thats not to say you wont have the same problem in SF, but at least you will be in the company of fellow liberals and not surrounded by conservatives.Just my two cents.

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 12:38:59 PM »
well, if you lean to the left I would go with USF. USD is a very conservative school and you may feel out of place. You also need to consider the fact that SD is a relatively small market compared to SF. Also, with UCLA, USC, Pepperdine, Loyola,Southwestern, and Chapman not to far north of SD leaves plenty of competition for jobs in the region. Just because USD is the biggest fish in SD, its not dominate over UCLA, USC, Pepperdine and, to a lesser extent, Loyola. Thats not to say you wont have the same problem in SF, but at least you will be in the company of fellow liberals and not surrounded by conservatives.Just my two cents.

That's absolutely not true. Pepperdine and Loyola are no competition to USD students in the San Diego market and arguably have an advantage over UCLA and USC (I'm just unfamiliar with how USD places with regard to those schools. My gut says that they place better). On the other hand, USF faces competition from Hastings, Berkeley, and Stanford (and likely Davis) for San Francisco jobs.

In picking between these schools, it's more about where you want to practice. Any money offers at either?
Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French

mugatu

• LSD Obsessed
  • I'll show YOU pacifist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 12:46:58 PM »
It is most likely a function of where you want to practice for 3-5 years after you graduate.

Both are good, regional schools and have excellent alumni networks in their respective markets. 
Let me show you Derelicte. It is a fashion, a way of life inspired by the very homeless, the vagrants, the crack whores that make this wonderful city so unique.

They're break-dance fighting.

lawstudentfall09

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 02:19:58 PM »
thanks for the replies...much appreciated...no, i was not offered money at either...sounds like it really just depends on where i want to live for the next 5 yrs...any liberally minded folks have experience with usd/sd?  if so...any thoughts to share about usd/sd?

thanks

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 02:56:53 PM »
I know nothing about USD (save that it's a private Catholic school), but San Diego is a pretty liberal place on the whole. It's also GORGEOUS and a lot of fun. USD is near Old Town SD (which is a fun place to go out on weekend nights and has yummy Mexican food), but there's also downtown SD/the Gaslamp district which is also good for nightlife. There are different areas of SD all with different feel, but on the whole, I think it's a fantastic city!
Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French

DannyJames

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2009, 06:43:41 PM »
i've applied to USD this cycle.  it's my number 1 choice of school right now.  the area is incredible and the school will be just as good, and i tend to be very liberal (moreso just let everyone do their own thing).  I'm more apt to choose soouthern Cal over northern Cal, but i hope my opinion is not too biased. 
Just because you're breathing doesn't mean you're alive

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2009, 08:59:04 AM »
I know @#!*-all about USD's culture, but I've always thought USD is one of the hidden gems of the law school world. It's the leader in its market while still not being incredibly difficult admissions-wise, plus you're living in not-a-shithole (e.g. somewhere in the Rust Belt). I'd inquire more about leftiness or lack thereof, but consider also that they're sure to have at least a couple of lefty-ish profs. It's law school, after all, not business school. Then you can just glom onto those profs and be their best friends, which should cover your bases resume-wise for letters of rec, research assistantships, mentoring, etc.
This sig kills fascists.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=dashrashi

Saw dashrashi's LSN site. Since she seems to use profanity, one could say that HYP does not necessarily mean class or refinement.