Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Awkward Question...Bar Year & Image  (Read 491 times)

StigmamgitS

• View Profile
Awkward Question...Bar Year & Image
« on: July 19, 2009, 05:41:10 PM »
Can someone give me a brutally honest opinion?

My question is unjustified...uncomfortable,
inappropriate, & awkward.

It relates to what others think...image.

I'd really appreciate it if you would
answer.  BRUTAL HONESTY.

Consider this Attorney Profile:

Smith
   JD (2005)
   State Bar Admissions (2007)

From looking at the dates & not knowing anything else:

Would you presume that Smith failed
the first time?

If it were your profile, would the 2 year
difference bother you?

Do you know anyone who took it 2 years out?

Pardon Johnny Cash.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Awkward Question...Bar Year & Image
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 05:50:00 PM »
yes  :-\  But smart people do fail the bar.  It doesn't necessarily make one a bad lawyer. 

StigmamgitS

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 05:56:09 PM »
Thanks for responding.  :)   

Does yes refer to the first question - that it appears the person failed the first time?

Quote from: Pardon Johnny Cash. link=topic=4020909.msg5354057# sg5354057 date=1248040200
yes  :-\  But smart people do fail the bar.  It doesn't necessarily make one a bad lawyer. 

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2009, 05:58:08 PM »
I would not really assume anything. Your assuming people are just going to think you failed the bar, but here are the things I could assume just looking at it right now. Who knows what you did for two years. I mean I could assume you failed the bar, but I could also assume you had like a criminal history problem and the bar made you wait to years to prove you were a bettger person, or I could assume you were locked up in a mental hospital for two years, or I could assume you took two years off to train to climb everest or I could assume you praticed in anouther state for two years, or I could assume you got an LLm or a Masters in something between the JD and the bar. Point is people can assume whatever the hell they want to and there is nothing you can do to stop them from doing it. So worry about the things in life you can control and not the things you can't. It is what it is, you passed that's all that matters.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2009, 06:32:37 PM »
I might think that the person failed the first time, but I would also consider the possibility that s/he had kids, did a year of non-attorney work (e.g., clerking, policy fellowship), or earned a masters degree (or started another grad program).  It's not a big deal.
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.