;

Poll

Where should I go?

CARDOZO
 2 (28.6%)
UNC-Chapel Hill
 5 (71.4%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Author Topic: Cardozo or UNC?  (Read 789 times)

sahil67

• View Profile
Cardozo or UNC?
« on: July 19, 2009, 02:14:11 PM »
Where Should I go next month? UNC-Chapel Hill or Cardozo?

I am not sure if I want to work in DC (though it has long been a dream of mine) or NYC (went to NYU for undergrad and have been a New Yorker all of my life).

Given that, where do you think would be better considering I would love to be at either DC or NYC. Keep in mind the costs associated with Cardozo (about 70K/year) vs. UNC (about 48K/year)

THANKS!!!

latinlord

• Sr. Citizen
  • ME... Litigating at the Indiana State Court house!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - latinlord
    • View Profile
    • myspace profile, "come and say hello"
    • Email
Re: Cardozo or UNC?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 02:22:10 PM »
Where Should I go next month? UNC-Chapel Hill or Cardozo?

I am not sure if I want to work in DC (though it has long been a dream of mine) or NYC (went to NYU for undergrad and have been a New Yorker all of my life).

Given that, where do you think would be better considering I would love to be at either DC or NYC. Keep in mind the costs associated with Cardozo (about 70K/year) vs. UNC (about 48K/year)

THANKS!!!

hummmm... Cardozo would be better for location reasons... But depending on whether or not price really means a lot to you... then UNC wuould be better plus you get a higher ranked school.. although 20spots isn't that much... I think you have to balance out whether or not the extra 20K is worth it for being close to the cities you want to work...
     UNC is a solid school with a great rep .. but i do not know how many On campus interviewers are from NY or DC... you may wnat to contact both schools and see their OCI lists and determine how many UNC gets... i'm sure they get some.. but if they don't get as much as cardozo.. then cardozo would be a better fit for you locality desires...

Either way you can't go wrong... congrats

Graduated from Indiana Law - Indianapolis!!
Was a 3rd year Visiting Student at Villanova University School of Law.
Graduated from Temple University Beasley School of Law - LL.M in Trial Advocacy Candidate 2010
 Published by Chicano/Latino Law Review of UCLA LAW. & I'm a Licensed Esq. NOW!

big - fat - box

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 02:58:15 PM »
Are you taking out loans for school?

Cardozo is a terrible idea. The school is a bottom feeder in the NY market unless you are top of the class there. That's because NY has NYU, Columbia, Fordham, plus every other T14 in the US sends a substantial number of students there along with many of the 15-25 schools. Plus you have the rest of the NY tier 2/3/4 schools to fight for jobs with. $70K a year? That is insane. Also keep in mind the NY job market has collapsed, forcing everyone to move down a few notches when searching for employment. So things will be tougher for you out of Cardozo than even in a good year.

UNC is a good school. But I still think $48k/yr is a lot to pay to go there. Keep in mind they just got rid of their LRAP program and six figure employment is no guarantee out of there for a student with median grades. Can you get in-state there after 1L? That would help. For DC you will need good grades and need to network heavily. DC is among the most competitive job markets in the US for legal jobs.

Either way, UNC has a much, much better rep in DC compared to the rep of Cardozo in NY.

I would not make decisions based on OCI. At both schools OCI is prescreened meaning employers will look at your transcript and resume THEN decide if they want to interview. Plus at schools like Cardozo, the non-Nalp firms are basically insurance defense firms that pay nowhere near the $$$ big firms pay. Since OCI takes place fall of 2L, little chance that the economy will drastically rebound by the time you do OCI. Even T14 students are having a hard time right now with OCI, which means anything ranked below is going to be even tougher.

If you are unhappy with your choices retake the LSAT and reapply. Law school isn't going anywhere, and you can always start in a year or two. That might allow some time for the economy to improve a little bit.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 04:04:34 PM »
UNC.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.