Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Highlighter?  (Read 1966 times)

jdubb990

• View Profile
    • Email
Highlighter?
« on: July 18, 2009, 02:20:18 PM »
I was looking in the back of my Power Score Logic Games bible, and under the "materials allowed to have on your desk during time of test"-highlighter pen is listed.  Is this true?  Can you bring a highlighter and use it on the LSAT?

BTW, good luck to all those who are studying for the September administration of the test like myself.

Impromptu

• View Profile
Re: Highlighter?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2009, 05:21:00 PM »
Yes; but why would you want to? If you use it on the test booklet, it will bleed through....

r.

jdubb990

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2009, 07:34:21 PM »
Just for the reading comprehension to highlight key points.  Yellow highlighting is much more visually appealing than pencil underlining.  Also, I don't think a little bleeding through would be very troublesome, although you have a very good point.  Most of my friends who have taken the test had no idea that they could have used a highlighter.  Several said they wished they would have known because they would have made use of it.

And to solve the problem of bleeding through, couldn't you just bring an older, more used, highlighter?  Usually they don't bleed through when they get older.  Or even bring one of those mechanical multi colored ones?  That way a visual distinction could be made (if it bleeds through, use a different color the next passage)  I found the rules on LSAC and it said "no mechanical PENCILS", it didn't say no mechanical highlighters.

Has anybody here used one on their LSAT?

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2009, 08:23:34 PM »
Dont worry about silly things like this going in to the LSAT.  Just bring a highlighter if you want to use one.  They check you when you come in.  If you cannot have it, throw it away or leave it by the door and get it later.  No harm and no great loss.

Good luck!  Law school is a long hard journey but is doable. 

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2009, 11:15:39 PM »
You can have a highlighter, but its pretty silly.

Re: bleedthrough.  If you're doing the passages in order, you'd be highlighting only on the left side, so you'd never see the back of the pages you highlighted after highlighting them.

Madeline

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2009, 04:38:09 PM »
I think juggling a highlighter and a pencil in a small space under a time crunch would drive me craaaaazy.

!закон и право!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2009, 03:16:17 PM »

Re: bleedthrough.  If you're doing the passages in order, you'd be highlighting only on the left side, so you'd never see the back of the pages you highlighted after highlighting them.

TITCR

The switch between writing implements is time consuming and unecessary. You can make all of the notations and markings you need with just a simple pencil.

An aside:
I still think its stupid that LSAC still doesnt allow silent timers into the testing room.

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2009, 03:19:22 PM »

TITCR

The switch between writing implements is time consuming and unecessary. You can make all of the notations and markings you need with just a simple pencil.

Agreed.

Additionally, I think that people who use highlighters tend to over-mark their passages so the RC passage ends up looking like a sea of highlighted text. In that case, what's the point?
Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2009, 11:21:37 PM »
An aside:
I still think its stupid that LSAC still doesnt allow silent timers into the testing room.

Agreed.